Author Topic: HT receiver and DVD help?  (Read 9216 times)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
HT receiver and DVD help?
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:23:51 AM »
Crap guys...I just typed a whole bunch of text only to have my daughter (4) to help with typing and now it's gone!!

One more time:

I am needing a new receiver to power my basement HT setup....  I'll be buying a 1080p PJ + screen this summer.  I'm wanting to keep it rather inexpensive since it'll be family use.  The room is L shaped (long side is 30x12, additional space is 12x12' - or outer perimeter is 24' x 30')  so sound will not be all that great- unless I get creative with doing some sort of false wall or DIY divider doubling as sound panels.  :) speakers will be av123 rockets (8ohm 90db)

I'm using an Arcam AVR300 upstairs w/panny plasma and Cambridge DVD player.   the arcam does not have HDMI.  Should I bring it downstairs for the HT projector room?  or leave it where it is and just buy an inexpensive but updated HDMI HT receiver?

Also,  are the oppo players still the best inexpensive DVD players?   I "think" I want to venture into blue ray also.   Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: HT receiver and DVD help?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:29:11 AM »
Hi Rob

IMO, the Oppo is still the best bang for the buck out there.  They're also just now releasing their Blu-Ray player though the wait will be pretty long.

For a decent HT receiver with HDMI that sounds halfway decent, I'd suggest the Pioneer ELITE series.  For a little less, you could also look at the Integra line.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »
I just helped a friend put together a small system.. I got him an Onkyo TX-SR507.  $344 on Amazon.

He started out with a pair of Usher S-520 monitors, somewhat similar to the Rocket's.  The receiver sounds very good, has the microphone/room-measuring setup feature.. passes HDMI (audio and video) through it.. and is an overall good solution.  I don't that there is better for the price out there.. but there could be.. just don't know.

He had a cheapo Insignia DVD player that has HDMI but it doesn't work.  HDMI makes things simple for sure.. when they work. ;)  He's on the fence about DVD players as well.  If Oppo made a cheap blu-ray, that'd make good sense to me.  

If this is for non-critical stuff, a regular dvd and 720P PJ might be better value but I don't know.. If what you want to watch is mostly on Blu-ray, you'll need to go that route.  I did a Sony PS3 for my player.. and I hear they're considering reducing the price on them soon.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
Look at the Mitsubishi 5500 projector.  It's got a rebate right now that also includes a free bulb... 5000 hour bulbs in low power mode.  It's definitely an entry level machine that sucks by comparison to a JVC RS-XXXX or upper end DLP.  But it's quiet, relatively easy to setup, has a couple good features, and most important of all, it's really cheap after rebate.

Dalite High Power screen material most definitely with it as it isn't really bright in low lamp mode (and I like minimum 30 ftL after living with an Infocus 777 3 chipper long term).  Depending on setup, you can get the material itself for a song if you build your own frame and salvage it from a cheapo manual pull down....

As for receiver, the Onkyo's are very good recommendations.  The Pioneer cheapies have a bit more "warmth" at the expense of detail.  The Marantzs are surprisingly musical sounding, but a bit more expensive for the same or less feature set.

There are a number of new BD players hitting the market right now for not a huge amount of cash.  JVC just released one.  The others have newer versions hitting.  The Oppo is going to be hard to get your hands on anytime soon and is expensive by comparison (expect >$500), but it is a truly universal player and has some features the others just don't have.

If you are only doing normal DVD playback, the standard Oppos are pretty decent and won't kill the pocketbook.

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:27:32 AM »
I don't know how big a screen you want to put in... but here's an example of what I was talking about for material:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=10234

Don't know the person at all.  But the High Power material by itself is just what you need with some of the dimmer projectors.  The price is very reasonable for the raw material.

With the rebate, you can get into a Mits 5500 for ~$1400 or less (plus it comes with a second new spare bulb), this material and some funds to build a frame around it and cover with velvet, leaving some funds left over to either get a nicer electronic set for that room, or to spend on your 2 channel rig :)

I'm a video snob myself.  But if this is for the family, they'll think this is amazing.  I cheaped out in the loft/upstairs landing area of my house and put one of these 5500s on a Vutec Silverstar screen (It wasn't a dedicated room that I could control light.  So top shelf quality was going to be wasted except late at night).  The better half thinks it's incredible and doesn't understand what I'm complaining about (black levels not on par with JVC units, ANSI contrast "pop" factor not there like with high end 3 chip DLP).  It's a very good unit.  Just not the best.... but it's also 1/3 to 1/30 or less the price of the units I'm comparing.  She likes that much more because it leaves more money for furniture and rugs and decorations and window treatments, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc....

anyways, just trying to help... hope this was beneficial...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »
Did you get the 1st check yet?

I wanted to say a quick thanks for the Onkyo rec.  Seems to be exactly the feature set that jives with the projector and budget type speakers.  got it up and running on an off-white wall in my basement w/ standard cambridge 540D player w/composite cables to PJ.  Still a cool picture.  Wow factor was neat, can't wait until I get real clarity from HD source and hi brightness/pop.

And liking the cables a lot.  I'll trade the aluminata's in tomorrow.  Trying to get an impression of the Q's which are very good.

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!