Author Topic: State of the Art Power-Conditioner  (Read 14207 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
State of the Art Power-Conditioner
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »
  Guys check out GigaWatt PC-4EVO conditioner www.gigawatt.eu/products/power-conditioners/ . The reviews are quite impressive.
I really like powercon connector for PC and circuit breaker for on/off. Read the reviews. Thinking of taking on line.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: State of the Art Power-Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Is this similar to products from PS Audio and others? If so, have heard those other products and why would this company be better?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
Everything I see on the web site says that these are 220v devices and the plugs shown in the photos are European types.

Do they have versions specifically built for use in the US Market?

Would this be something you use in addition to or instead of an Uberbuss?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »
The fanciest looking totally average power conditioner I've ever seen. It probably sounds ok. It's just an over-glorified regular rendition of a Felix.

Offline dBe

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:32:13 PM »
Everything I see on the web site says that these are 220v devices and the plugs shown in the photos are European types.

Do they have versions specifically built for use in the US Market?

Would this be something you use in addition to or instead of an Uberbuss?
I'll build you better versions of those boards for $50.00 each.  Inductors are not so cool for current throughput.  The bus bars are smart and look impressive though.  All of their money is tied up in the casework.  That is why I build plain, ugly black boxes.  All of the my customer's money is spent inside the box.  I will say that the Gigawatt Schuko connectors are probably the best I have used for the European Market.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:45:56 PM by dBe »

Offline Folsom

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »
Inductors can work just fine (you don't see it often), but I don't see any indication that they know how to use them well enough to support anywhere near the amount of current that they will be using.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
I have a friend that has a 5500VA Purity 240VAC>120VAC 12 outlet transformer for sale for $500.00.  It is in Hawaii, but will ship air freight to the buyer.

It is a behemouth.  If I can compress the pictures enough I'll try to post them here.

If anyone is interested PM or email me, please.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Folsom

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
Doug,

You're right in the sense that particular one is thus... That doesn't mean something special cannot be made. I have plans for a power conditioner that would be about as special as possible. But it's going to cost as much as a Porsche.

Offline dBe

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »
Doug,

You're right in the sense that particular one is thus... That doesn't mean something special cannot be made. I have plans for a power conditioner that would be about as special as possible. But it's going to cost as much as a Porsche.
Jeremy, rock on.  So do I.  I love a worthy adversary.  That is what drives SOTA!  It might only cost what a Subaru cost, though.  :D

My original MajikBUSS power filters were designed for the local market, but that soon changed thanks to Danny Richie.  Since I built the originals I have made about 30 changes to get to where the Uber is now.  I've learned a lot since then, but the changes are too expensive to implement.  I priced the Uber at about a third of what I should have since it commonly replaces Adept Respone, Synergistic, Bybee, Audio Magic, Running Springs, etc, etc.  all of them are about $5K because they are pretty.  Up until now I have not build audio jewelry, just acceptably utilitarian cases to fit behind the rack.  That is soon to change.

I have learned that I have a tendancy to undervalue my talents and my products.  Don't do what I did.  Charge what it is worth.  Build it and they will buy it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:05:16 PM by dBe »

Offline Folsom

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
You do. It's tricky though, that pricing stuff...

Part of me wants to price so everyone can buy (although the parts don't really allow it). But then again it makes little sense in some ways because it'll be seen as disposable, or not valuable - and I'll dig myself a hole where I'm in debt because I can't achieve WalMart numbers.

When it comes to it, I really don't have a solution to make everyone happy. So I figure I'll try to offer DIY so that who ever doesn't have deep pockets can make their own, and the rest whom want to whine about not wanting to DIY or try to get a good enough job to buy the stuff... Well they're on their own.

I have a power conditioner I've been wanting to release that is about $2400-2500, and would need 4 orders upfront.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
Pricing stuff can be very tricky, especially for a small shop because you have to set prices that will not only cover your costs of doing business right now, but also provide you with enough cash flow to continue to run the business if it becomes successful, Because if you price your product too low you will have a hard time going back and getting customers to accept a price hike later on. And if you price to high you will drive away potential customers. It's quite a balancing act.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »
Pricing stuff can be very tricky, especially for a small shop because you have to set prices that will not only cover your costs of doing business right now, but also provide you with enough cash flow to continue to run the business if it becomes successful, Because if you price your product too low you will have a hard time going back and getting customers to accept a price hike later on. And if you price to high you will drive away potential customers. It's quite a balancing act.
PREACH IT, Brother.   :thumb:

Ain't easy being a small fish in a pond full of piranas that are too cheap to pay for quality hardware.  That is why the "high end" market is so different.  We want the best value for the dollar and they want the latest and greatest.  Human psyche at its most interesting.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »

Ain't easy being a small fish in a pond full of piranas that are too cheap to pay for quality hardware.  That is why the "high end" market is so different.  We want the best value for the dollar and they want the latest and greatest.  Human psyche at its most interesting.

ANSWER YOUR PMS you you thats what you are. I need diffussors  Tell me about trying being a dealer.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
Yes, I imagine pricing is very difficult. Some guys do it as a hobby and others need to make a living.  I’m a buyer and diy doesn’t work for me as I lack the skillset to do it. A woodworking project would be horrible. Trust me when I tell you my speaker cabinet would look like Dracula’s coffin. I’ve soldered maybe 10 times over the years and can’t read a schematic.
So I look for a bargain when I can and have to trust in an expert’s opinions like Dave E, whose opinion I highly value. I get some great advice on this forum that’s led me to some great information and wonderful products, and for that, I’m especially grateful.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »

On top of that when doing production in small batches the fixed operating costs can eat you alive.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9