Author Topic: DTQWT-12  (Read 127121 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: DTQWT-12
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
you could always buy the parts from him and then you just have to deal with the cabinet construction...

if you're not handy with DIY, the freight isn't toooooo outrageous to you... not cheap, but not as bad as I've seen recently... might be worth the few hundreds of dollars....

another option for close wall placement (albeit a commercial one) with high mid/tweets to clear your couches is the von schweikert VR-33/VR-35 design.... obviously more expensive than the DIY option.... but definitely work great in close wall placement in my experience...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
Yes, they are still for sale. PM me for a shipping quote. Maybe you'll think the shipping price is a bargain compared to the assembly labor. :)  My selling price is just my materials cost.

The speakers are 2 feet deep front to back, plus you'd want some space behind them. I have mine 2 feet from the front wall, in ~11 foot triangle. So the front of the speaker is 4' from the front wall. They could probably be moved even closer to the wall without harm. I have not spent a lot of time positioning them for best bass response. Midrange did sound better closer to the wall (4') than away from the wall (6-7',) but that could just be for my particular room.

The differences between the various speaker types is a big subject. You might get better response by posting that as a new topic in the Speakers section of the forum.

My box opinions: The rear horn type speakers as a group offer a nice, warm, natural bass. The tradeoff for the beautiful warm satisfying sound is transient response. If you like techno-synth dance music, and rib cracking bass impulses, then get sealed subs with 1000W plate amps, not TQWT. Bass reflex is the most popular because it makes loudest LF with smallest box which means highest WAF and lowest cost. Reflex can sound very good, but it often feels like too much bass unless it is on a <8" driver. Sealed is capable of offering the most natural and accurate sound, but is larger than ported and less efficient. OB/dipole eliminates the box sound, and reduces bass modal problems from room reflections. But OB midrange rear echos are distracting to me, like fake soundstage.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
A little update.

I like the internal horns for extended bass but I also like sealed speakers. So I have designed a new 3-way, all sealed cabinet for these same drivers. I like sealed speakers. I am gathering materials and tools to build the boxes with vacuum bagged foam and wood sandwich. 

I will start a new thread for it.