Author Topic: OPPOSITES ATTRACT  (Read 5023 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
OPPOSITES ATTRACT
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:55:39 AM »
 Over the years when synergizing a system I've found that pieces with opposing tonal character enhance the synergy. For example the Audible Illusions preamp is considered on the dark side, so an amp like the Krell or Bryston will have a nice match. Speakers as well, say some vintage Snell and Audio Research.
   My reasoning is, a system should have listenability not a clear window to the source. Why , you ask. Simple for me. I want to able to listen to all my CDs and LPs without fatigue. Yeah, yeah the neutrality thing. NO , no the musical thing is where its at for me.
   Saying that a system where one is limited to several well recorded Cd's or LPs is not fun. I'll agree that when the source is well done the results are outstanding. So why be limited to only a small venue of recordings. The recordings IMO are the culprit. Not the gear at our point in system development.
   Make it musical not sterile. I guess where I'm leading is some color along the way is a way to tune our systems to our ears.
   Balance is hard to achieve unless one has access to a lot of gear to try out. If you have a dealer who has the same  taste [ or you respect ]  that YOU DO build a relationship. Ken the Dr. seems to be that kind of dealer to me. OK I'm rambling now so enough for now.
  Any thoughts or experiences to share ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: OPPOSITES ATTRACT
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:14:59 AM »
I use an AI Modulus 2D with a B&K ST-202+ amp.  The amp is the best of the $750 set from the early '90s (compare it to Adcom GFA555, low end Bryston, Sumo Andromeda etc).  While it's not bright, per se, it is not glass smooth like Pass/Threshold solid state or any tube amp.  I believe it is a nice combination that works pretty well together, especially for the cost.

As you said, the key is matching stuff that sounds good together.  Connecting the "best" components is not a simple recipe for the best sound.  Sports teams that consist exclusively of future hall-of-famers are rarely championship caliber. All-Star jam concerts are my least favorite types of performances and usually are a mish mash of screeching lead guitars.  Sometimes a second-string component, like a good session-man, is a better match with an All-Star.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »
VG combo. B&K made some good Amps in their day. The AI is a great choice with SS Amps. I owned a AI 3 for some time using a Bryston 4B. Went to Klyne SK5A and a warmer amp the Classe DR25. The Classe bit the dust for a Audio Research DR 250 Servo. Maggie 3As were used thoughout. Live and learn.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:43:36 AM »
Mmmmm.  I'd have loved to hear the AI3, AR servo and Maggies.  I bet that made some sweet music.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »
The B&K runs my first and best love...B&W 802's...The F-special version, vintage 1984.  I upgraded the tweeters to the Matrix version when they came out in the early 90's.  I traveled to England to get my pair.  I haven't heard anything that (truly) compels me to replace them.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »
Mmmmm.  I'd have loved to hear the AI3, AR servo and Maggies.  I bet that made some sweet music.

Bryan

That it did Bryan. Great combo. The Pipedreams however take it up a notch. So they replaced the Maggies. Went the SET route for a while and have stayed put so far. I still have this urge foe some push pull power but the AR 250 needs tubes . Yeah 20 6550s and 12 smalll signal.
   Tonight the AR Classic 60 will be inserted for old tiomes sake. Hey its been so long without the AR who knows maybe I'll like it again.
    Hey Brian for $3300 the AR250 could be yours. :)

charles

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:34:42 AM »
LOL.  Just what I need is another amp - though that one would certainly be interesting.  Maybe you should send it to Rich so he can see what the Ushers will do with that much clean tube power...  :-#

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »
LOL.  Just what I need is another amp - though that one would certainly be interesting.  Maybe you should send it to Rich so he can see what the Ushers will do with that much clean tube power...  :-#

Bryan

The sucker weighs 160 pounds. Oh Richadoo, may the tubes be with you. A mans amp. Big, bold powerfull. When I used it with the Maggies with the lights off the tubes glow [ cage removed] was captivating and seducing. Shoot man felt like Henry the 8the sitting there in all that glory.
   OK, one more shot with the Pipes. The SETs have been in for over 3 years now. Maybe its time to revisit the AR. You gotta love it.

charles

poloman

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:50:33 PM »
VG combo. B&K made some good Amps in their day. The AI is a great choice with SS Amps. I owned a AI 3 for some time using a Bryston 4B. Went to Klyne SK5A and a warmer amp the Classe DR25. The Classe bit the dust for a Audio Research DR 250 Servo. Maggie 3As were used thoughout. Live and learn.

charles

I love my Classe DR-25  it sounds great with my B&W802's  Thanks  Rollo,  LOL

poloman

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »
Oh, and that Classe replaced a B&K EX-442,  which I loved long time.

Offline JLM

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Yes, my goal too is to have the system be musical and non-fatiguing but accurate, revealing of good recordings yet not too punishing of poor recordings so as to ruin favorite performances.

And yes, we are all subject to how the recording was made.

You are fortunate to have found a like minded dealer.  Most of us have to hunt the net and try to confirm our suspicions at audiofests.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
Remember what we are putting together is an audio system. and the goal in designing that system is to pick components that will work together to maximize each others strengths while at the same time downplay each others weaknesses. All while at the same time producing a mixture of sonic characteristics that not only complements they types of music that you will be listening to, but also works in the acoustic space that you have to work with. Of course this is easier said than done. It all come down to equipment synergy. (At least in the world of audio synergy is a good thing, at work every time somebody talks about synergy it means that 20 more people are going to be downsized by the end of the month.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables