Author Topic: Audiotop CD cleaner is truly excellent  (Read 11953 times)

Phil

Audiotop CD cleaner is truly excellent
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:47:18 PM »
I’ve been checking out the Audiotop digital cleaner  (http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=32) by cleaning newly purchased  discs, old discs and discs that were treated with another (well-known and regarded) cleaner. 

As a result, I’ve been listening for longer periods and getting greater enjoyment from every disc I have treated.  That is all I want from any product or piece of equipment. 

So what does it do?  Bass lines are more distinct.  Voices are more expressive.  Subtle harmonic cues of, say, a sitar or oud, are finally clear.  The overall effect is playback that is more natural, relaxed and organic without any loss of dynamics.  All of this would be enough to expect from simply cleaning a disc, but this cleaner also retrieves the spatial cues of both the venue and individual instruments in a way that enhances the performance.   

I had stopped using my previous cleaner because it seemed like more work than benefit, but I have had no such reluctance to applying the Audiotop cleaner. I’d recommend the Audiotop cleaner for anyone trying to get the best out of the CD format.   A great tweak. 

Contact Brian at Aaudio Imports with questions about dealers in your area. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:56:31 PM by Phil »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Audiotop CD cleaner is truly excellent
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:26:53 AM »
Good to know.  To date the Mapleshade Micro Smooth has worked well for me. I'm a believer so worth a try. Thanks again for the heads up.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »
Charles,

It would be interesting to know how it compares to the Mapleshade stuff.  It will, of course, remove it when applied.  Please let us know if you compare them.

It would be great if they gave out samples of the stuff.   :)

shep

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:12:11 AM »
Ever since CD's came out there have been a slew of treatments, ranging from polishing, edge treatment, mats, blitzing with light, and more. I've long since lost count. Compared to Vynyl, this "wonderful" medium has turned out to be something less than perfect. It would be nice to know which of these treatments is the most efficient and which are nonsense. I rather like the approach which appeared a while ago which consists I think of extracting all the data from the disk, transferring it to a HD and reshaping it (?) before playing. Was that Abbington or who? The concensus would seem to be that the manufacturing process is slip-shod, the material dubious and then the poor laser (assuming all things to be perfect) has to find it's way thru a host of  imperfections and spurious data before reading the actual musical data. Just musing...

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 05:26:52 AM »
Is this the one shep?
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1138.0

Actually, I think CD has matured and improved since the day it was introduced. The first commercial digital recorders from Sony were only 14 bit! Playing the disc live in real time on a CDP seems to be the challenge, but analyzing the output of any cheap CDP shows it to be bit accurate. Jitter is the main problem and ways to eliminate jitter are abundant now. But none that come in a little spray bottle for $10.... yet!

The CD treatment products from Acoustic Revive impressed me when I tried them at RMAF 07. One is demag http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/rd3/rd3_01.html, but I can't remember what the other one was. I think Black Sand sells Acoustic Revive? Some very weird but effecaceous products.

bacobits

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »
Mr. Ed at the Horn Shop says the Ultra Bit Platinum Cd Treatment is super.
About the same price.

I use nutin' here never have.

D

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
I have had excellent results using Windex to clean the read side and remove mold release compounds and then I treat the topside or label side with Nordost ECO 3 which is a potent anti-static treatment.
The combination of Windex and ECO 3 reduces grunge and digititis,bass is improved and the treble has better extension and clarity.
Scotty

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:30:20 AM »
Is there anything Windex won't fix?
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:21:16 AM »
I just had a flash to that Greek wedding movie where the father kept spraying windex on everything...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:45:22 AM »
And I always thoight it was duct tape that was suppsed to be able to fix anything............
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »
I see an old thread was brought to the top. Good info here, but honestly I use Windex and the softest lintless paper towels I can find. I always go in a radial pattern, just 'cause. Then I rip the disc to the PC, and store it away, possibly never to see the light of day again.

....And officially,

"If it moves and shouldn't" - Use Duct Tape
"If it's stuck and should move" - Use WD-40
"If it's dirty" - (you guessed it) - Use Windex

Bob

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:48 AM »
A Windex man myself. A microfiber cloth like the one that comes with ones eyeglasses works very well. I use the cloth for LP as well to great affect. Have never tried Audiotop. We compared trated discs [ mapleshade] vs untreated. There was a bit more clarity with the treated disc, actually some thought it made it bright sounding.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »
Charlie,

While a microfiber cloth might  do a nice job at getting the visible surface dirt off an LP, from a sonic perspective there is nothing like a deep cleaning on a VPI, Nittygritty or similar record cleaning machines. Bring some LPs over one night and I will be happy to clean them for you and do a before and after comparison. Microfiber cloths or similar devices are a great way to keep LPs clean in-between machine washings, but they, IMO, are certainly not a substitute for them.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables