Author Topic: Graphene...  (Read 30857 times)

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: Graphene...
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 07:16:36 AM »
Recent article from Purdue Research:

Is tellurene the new graphene?

“The chiral-chain van der Waals structure of tellurene gives rise to strong in-plane anisotropic properties and large thickness-dependent shifts in Raman vibrational modes, which is not observed in other 2D layered materials.”

"Contrary to what you may think, this fragment was not written by AI, but by real researchers from Purdue University (USA) who have come up with a new material to make faster transistors with.

Tellurene is a two-dimensional crystal created from the rare element tellurium. Its special property that makes it interesting for use in electronics is the fact that electrons and holes move faster in it than in other materials. This property may be exploited to create faster transistors or smaller transistors that can switch higher currents.

Other important properties of tellurene are its stability at room temperature and the fact that it can be produced quite easily. Other tellurene-like two-dimensional materials, such as graphene, black phosphorus and silicene, are either not stable at room temperature or production in high quantities is difficult.

Also, compared to other 2D materials, tellurene crystals or flakes tend to be larger meaning less barriers in a tellurene semiconductor allowing it to carry higher currents.

Although tellurium is pretty rare, according to the researchers this is not a problem because only very small quantities are required."

Source: Purdue University
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline Nick B

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »

“The chiral-chain van der Waals structure of tellurene gives rise to strong in-plane anisotropic properties and large thickness-dependent shifts in Raman vibrational modes, which is not observed in other 2D layered materials.”

"Contrary to what you may think, this fragment was not written by AI, but by real researchers from Purdue University (USA) who have come up with a new material to make faster transistors with.

Tellurene is a two-dimensional crystal created from the rare element tellurium. Its special property that makes it interesting for use in electronics is the fact that electrons and holes move faster in it than in other materials. This property may be exploited to create faster transistors or smaller transistors that can switch higher currents.

Other important properties of tellurene are its stability at room temperature and the fact that it can be produced quite easily. Other tellurene-like two-dimensional materials, such as graphene, black phosphorus and silicene, are either not stable at room temperature or production in high quantities is difficult.

Also, compared to other 2D materials, tellurene crystals or flakes tend to be larger meaning less barriers in a tellurene semiconductor allowing it to carry higher currents.

Although tellurium is pretty rare, according to the researchers this is not a problem because only very small quantities are required."

Interesting stuff....and the technology continues to develop. Maybe a new application indeed for audio. Makes me wonder if it would be able to be applied over a graphene treated substance.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »
Charles, has anyone other than Dave tried out the Graphene? Have you gotten any other feed back?

Yes that is why no samples were returned to me. Quieter, improved focus and imaging, larger sound stage. One gets all the good things associated with a solid connection.

charles

Still waiting on my sample...  :duh
I'll send you one of my new versions, Pete.
OK.  I got my order today.  I’ll be sending you one next week.  A hand polished 5362A is already pretty special.  I look forward to your assessment.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
I just received 2 graphene samples from a cool guy that is wanting to help me in developing treatment products.  The testing begins at the end of this week.  Gonna be very interesting  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
I just received 2 graphene samples from a cool guy that is wanting to help me in developing treatment products.  The testing begins at the end of this week.  Gonna be very interesting  :thumb:

Game on!  :)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
I just received 2 graphene samples from a cool guy that is wanting to help me in developing treatment products.  The testing begins at the end of this week.  Gonna be very interesting.  I’ve been doing a lot of research concerning carrier liquids and diluents.  The results are very good so far.  More, later!

Cool, so far.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 09:23:22 PM »
I have been revisiting chemistry for about the last 2 months.  Of course the object of my curiosity has been a reasonable application of and for graphene for all electrical applications in audio.  During this research I came across what I believe to be a superior contact enhancer for any audio context.  It combines several different chemical elements to offer the attributes of Craig products along with Jena Labs fluids.  It is safe for use on plastics and a tiny amount goes a very long way in both cleaning and enhancement of conductivity between surfaces.

I will be ready to supply the contact treatment at the end of next week.  A bottle capable of providing hundreds treatments will be $15.00 plus shipping ($4.00) via First Class Mail.  It will come with 6 small applicators so you can’t overuse it.  That is the biggest problem with spray application and why DeOxit is 90% volatile diluents.  Still, people tend to think that if a little is good, a lot is better.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  Using just barely enough of any contact treatment is what we want to do.  So many “contact treatments” migrate and attract ionic particulates, smoke, dust, skin cells... etc.

I really do believe that this is the best contact treatment available that I have used to date.  I like it, several other beta dudes do, too.  As always a full money back guarantee applies to all purchases.

Let me know if you are interested and I will hook you up.

I am still working on the final formulation and pricing on the graphene treatment.  Mostly I am trying to get the final cost within what I consider to be reasonable limits.

This has been an interesting couple of months learning and relearning all of those things I learned in organic chemistry hundreds of years ago.  Kind of like alchemy...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:59:02 PM by P.I. »

Offline Nick B

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 11:20:36 PM »
I have been revisiting chemistry for about the last 2 months.  Of course the object of my curiosity has been a reasonable application of and for graphene for all electrical applications in audio.  During this research I came across what I believe to be a superior contact enhancer for any audio context.  It combines several different chemical elements to offer the attributes of Craig products along with Jena Labs fluids.  It is safe for use on plastics and a tiny amount goes a very long way in both cleaning and enhancement of conductivity between surfaces.

I will be ready to supply the contact treatment at the end of next week.  A bottle capable of providing hundreds treatments will be $15.00 plus shipping ($4.00) via First Class Mail.  It will come with 6 small applicators so you can’t overuse it.  That is the biggest problem with spray application and why DeOxit is 90% volatile diluents.  Still, people tend to think that if a little is good, a lot is better.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  Using just barely enough of any contact treatment is what we want to do.  So many “contact treatments” migrate and attract ionic particulates, smoke, dust, skin cells... etc.

I really do believe that this is the best contact treatment available that I have used to date.  I like it, several other beta dudes do, too.  As always a full money back guarantee applies to all purchases.

I am still working on the final formulation and pricing on the graphene treatment.  Mostly I am trying to get the final cost within what I consider to be reasonable limits.

This has been an interesting couple of months learning and relearning all of those things I learned in organic chemistry hundreds of years ago.  Kind of like alchemy...

Dave,
Does this new product need to be reapplied every 6 months to a year or is it much longer lasting?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »

Dave,
Does this new product need to be reapplied every 6 months to a year or is it much longer lasting?
Nick
Nick, it will be longer lasting than the treatments that I know of, but connections should be cleaned at least every 6 months or so anyway.  Any time there is a mechanical connection that carries voltage there will be attraction of ions to that connection.  Like I said above, microscopic ions will get into the connection.  That’s why contact cleaners have to be used in the first place.  There are over one million particles .3 microns or larger in a cubic foot of air.  Every one of them has an electrical potential.  They are what build up on electrical contacts and create the nasty schmutz that cause conductivity problems.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 11:48:40 AM »

Tom, when you posted this it piqued my interest so I started doing some research.  Some of the experimental recipes that we used at Philips Semiconductor utilized dimethyl telluride in epitaxy and I remember it as producing a really folder.  I don't think we used it is implant... can't remember  Too much inside baseball, sorry.

I think that any audioapplications will be limited to tellurium copper , at least for the near future, but I've been out of the semi industry for some years and don't know where it is headed there.

I'm busy enough with the graphene research I'm doing. Yikes! 

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »

Tom, when you posted this it piqued my interest so I started doing some research.  Some of the experimental recipes that we used at Philips Semiconductor utilized dimethyl telluride in epitaxy and I remember it as producing a really folder.  I don't think we used it is implant... can't remember  Too much inside baseball, sorry.

I think that any audioapplications will be limited to tellurium copper , at least for the near future, but I've been out of the semi industry for some years and don't know where it is headed there.

I'm busy enough with the graphene research I'm doing. Yikes!
Yes, for semi's it's all about smaller geometry and lower power, Gordon Moore et al ...
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »

Yes, for semi's it's all about smaller geometry and lower power, Gordon Moore et al ...
My son-in-law Brian is with ASM and we were talking about all of this a couple of days ago.  They have a landscape/voltage/current density wall that they are up against in miniaturization that is proving to be a formidable task.

Quantum computers?  Biological (virus) computing?  Who knows?

Offline jhrlrd

• Seeking Help
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
Dave, in your testing have you tried the "perfect Path" contact enhancer?
It's supposed to do what the Graphene does, plus after it dries, forms a barrier
to further oxidization.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »
Dave, in your testing have you tried the "perfect Path" contact enhancer?
It's supposed to do what the Graphene does, plus after it dries, forms a barrier
to further oxidization.
Nope.  I'm trying to put out products that are over achievers in the performance/expense arena.  While graphene nano flake is expensive its beauty is that it takes VERY little to work its magik.

The hardest part of bringing P.I. Graphene to market was finding the proper formula for the carrier chemical.  It is comprised of 7 different materials of which a small percentage is a volitile diluent.  The rest of the carrier is non-volatile and forms a single molecule thick agent under pressure.  This carries the graphene.  It is formulated to prevent oxidation in the point of contact by making an air excluding barrier.

I guess it is two different approaches to a common problem. 

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
The Jena Labs enhancer is the best I've tried so far as to slowing oxidation.  Now, with the Mad Scientist goo life is getting easier.

I can vouch for liking Jenalabs enhancer. My experience is a little different, but still good. I used the enhancer on the tube pins of my amplifier and it made the voices/music slightly more dense, certainly more real, which I like.

When I used it on input, output, preamplifier, speaker jacks/plugs, the sound because just slightly less dense across the board. So I am using it only on my amp tube pins. (My 11A was specially listening tested without any enhancer, to be accurate, so not used on/in the 11A.)

I guess one could say that I was fine tuning my audio system for optimum, natural reproduction. I recommend Jenalabs enhancer.

I have not tried any other products; just spray cleaning of jacks, plugs, tube pins with no residue cleaner.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:13:33 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers