Author Topic: Power Conditioning Dual mono Components and System  (Read 3782 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Power Conditioning Dual mono Components and System
« on: October 12, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »
  Let's say one owns true dual mono preamp and mono block amps. Is it more affective to use one dedicated line and one power conditioner or a separate power conditioner for each line for preamp and mono block ? Then another dedicated line for Digital with conditioner ? Three dedicated lines with conditioners or one with conditioner.
I would think multiple lines with multiple conditioners is best. My only concern is grounding point potential. Esplain to Lucy your reasoning please.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
Re: Power Conditioning Dual mono Components and System
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
  Let's say one owns true dual mono preamp and mono block amps. Is it more affective to use one dedicated line and one power conditioner or a separate power conditioner for each line for preamp and mono block ? Then another dedicated line for Digital with conditioner ? Three dedicated lines with conditioners or one with conditioner.
I would think multiple lines with multiple conditioners is best. My only concern is grounding point potential. Esplain to Lucy your reasoning please.

charles

I've always had a problem with that whole "dedicated line" issue, since all outlet wires ultimately tie back to the breaker box and to the transformer on the pole, and to each other in the home.  The fridge noise goes through the outlet wires to the breaker box and then to back all other outlet wires. Where is the actual isolation? Or is this a case of it doesn't make sense but clearly a dedicated line is somehow better?

I have thought about either running gear directly from 12V DC (which I currently do with my preamp and SS amp), and also a very clean 12VDC -> 120VAC inverter. But any conversion from noisy AC to DC seems like it would always have issues.  Any thoughts on that?

Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »
I'm opposed to multiple lines unless your power demands need it. They increase ground loops, which increases different types of noise. "Ground loops, I don't have those" yes you do, but they aren't bad enough to be noticed. All equipment has minor loops, it's just how electricity works.

What I recommend is using twisted in wall cable from JPS. If you HAVE to use multiple lines because you have 10amp amplifiers in mono, so be it.

Power conditioners are kind of another topic. Generally speaking they can have outputs for power amps and signal stuff that are different because of different power demands.

BTW Gander, that isn't how it works. Having your stereo on a different line is highly preferable. It all ties into the breaker box but noise won't go to the breaker box and then back out to your gear. It will however screw with the stereo if it's on the same line trying to get back to the breaker box.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
  Thanks for the answers so far. Mono blocks just sound better to our ears in separate dedicated lines. More open sound stage and clarity.
  I get the ground loop thing but I imagine when they are gone we should hear a difference. To date we have not. I use deep cryo 8ga Romex in wall. The JPS wire is a VG product. Joe such a good guy as well. We also like Gigawatt in wall wiring.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »
OK went thru ALL the variables. To date one dedicated 20A line and one PC for all. Cheaper as well. Folsom ordered some JPS in wall to compare to 8ga cryo Romex.
BTw we tried a gang of dedicated lined installed very close to each other to keep ground wires same length. Beat that as well. Thanks Folsom.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
  Well well well. It appears that multiple conditioners [2] connected to [2] dedicated 2A lines is the best sound we have gotten. Our concern was ground loop potential however never appeared. One mono Amp, one mono preamp to each conditioner, then one piece digital [ DAC] into one PC and one digital [ transport] in the other PC. Wallah !!!
  Next up is to remove digital from each PC and try both in another PC and dedicated line.  Keep ya posted.  :pop  If one has stereo not mono block components all moot to you. But , but if you do still separate digital from analog.

charles