Author Topic: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks  (Read 27984 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 06:50:18 AM »
As for quieting other appliances ...

Audio Prism used to make a product called Quiet Line Filters. These are basically a series of X-rated caps inside a small plastic box that you plug into an outlet. I think they may have also had a varistor inside for surge suppression, but I'm not sure. In any case, you can make one yourself for next to no money. You just need to buy some x-rated caps and varistors then solder them together and plug them into the remaining electrical outlet by your fridge, washing machine, humidifier, etc. Basically any appliance that might cause a surge when it turns on. I found that using those small plastic outlet safety plugs that you get to protect little kids form sticking a knife into them works really well to hold the long legs of the caps in the outlet.

OF course you can source some quiet line filters and use them if you don't know how to solder or don't want a DIY solution.

I suggest the following x-cap values => 1.0uF, .1uF, .01uF all together in parallel.

These are the outlet safety plugs I mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Protector-Jool-Baby-Products/dp/B072N9XQHM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518274262&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=outlet+covers+child+safety&psc=1

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:52:45 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »
As for quieting other appliances ...

Audio Prism used to make a product called Quiet Line Filters. These are basically a series of X-rated caps inside a small plastic box that you plug into an outlet. I think they may have also had a varistor inside for surge suppression, but I'm not sure. In any case, you can make one yourself for next to no money. You just need to buy some x-rated caps and varistors then solder them together and plug them into the remaining electrical outlet by your fridge, washing machine, humidifier, etc. Basically any appliance that might cause a surge when it turns on. I found that using those small plastic outlet safety plugs that you get to protect little kids form sticking a knife into them works really well to hold the long legs of the caps in the outlet.

OF course you can source some quiet line filters and use them if you don't know how to solder or don't want a DIY solution.

I suggest the following x-cap values => 1.0uF, .1uF, .01uF all together in parallel.

These are the outlet safety plugs I mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Protector-Jool-Baby-Products/dp/B072N9XQHM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518274262&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=outlet+covers+child+safety&psc=1

I used the Quiet Lines years ago and they worked very well. I finally grew tired of using up so many of the outlets. That’s one of the reasons I like the Uber so much 👍
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
Re: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks - quieting appliances
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
 This is actually another subject, quieting line noise. I was originally talking about silencing the physical noise of appliances. Be careful! If you open a can of worms you may get worms all over the place. Ha ha

Gary
Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »
Quieting line noise is something that is coming from P.I. audio group.  I have prototypes going out.  Small modules like you suggest are great for local noise reduction... especially on fridges and computers.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:09:29 PM by dBe »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 08:39:38 AM »
Quieting line noise is something that is coming from P.I. audio group.  I have prototypes going out.  Small modules like you suggest are great for local noise reduction... especially on fridges and computers.

Dave,
How will this “device” be implemented, what does it do and how does it look?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »
 And the most important question of all, besides how well does it work, how much will it cost?

Gary
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline dBe

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »

Dave,
How will this “device” be implemented, what does it do and how does it look?
Nick
It will just be another of my ugly black boxes with an 18" umbilical that gets plugged into a receptacle that is on the opposite branch circuit (phase to some) in just about any receptacle in the house.

It helps to kill noise on that branch which means lower noise on the Neutral as well as Ground that is common on the overall personal grid. 

Still testing, but feedback is very positive right now.

Offline dBe

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »
And  :beer:the most important question of all, besides how well does it work, how much will it cost?

Gary
Great questions, Gary.

Works good  :lol:  as the jury says.  Price is TBD depending on what the ultimate part consist is and those component costs.  Tentative price is ~ $500.00, but I'm looking for lower cost, more readily accessible parts and pieces.

I'll keep everyone up to speed.  Rollo will have one of the final prototypes soon.  You can ask him.  Me, I'll say that it is the greatest thing since beer  :beer:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »
OK Gary bought the wood dowels installed them under Rethm Saadhana speakers. You are correct it makes a slight but noticeable
effect.
Bass tightened and just have better focus and imaging. Well worth the mere investment. Thanks for suggesting. If one turns off all electric devices and unplugs those nasty wall wart chargers and shit it sounds so much better. Quiet is bliss.
So quite in fact you can hear the crickets pissing on the cotton. :lol:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
Re: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks - rollers
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
 Hi Charles,

You’re very welcome. I’m glad that it helps. A few questions,
What diameter dowel did you get?
How did you align the rollers? So that the speakers can roll toward you and away from you? (This is the way it is supposed to be done) 
How wide are the speakers?
How long are the dowels you used?
And are they rolling on the floor or carpeting?

The devil is in the details!

Gary
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:13:44 PM by gander »
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 07:56:59 AM »
Gary 7/8" dowels 2ft long. Speaker is approx 10" wide. Set dowels front and back perpendicular to sides. Speakers can move front to back.
Thanks Dave will be expecting a package, oh my !

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dflee

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »
Would putting the dowls between the speaker spikes be enough to allow movement.
Thinking about putting some on the inside of the spikes and use the spikes to keep
the speaker from rolling too much. Hard wood flooring and what wood for dowls?

Thanks
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
Re: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks - rollers
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »
 I would suggest at least 1 inch in diameter for speakers, and the rollers not wider than the base of the speaker. Only saying that because that’s the way I do it and it seems to work well.  And it’s cheap enough you can try different sizes to see what works well for your speakers.

I don’t see why not using them between the spikes. But again, not wider than the speaker itself. And at least 1 inch in diameter.
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »
 Sorry, that should be at least 1 inch diameter for the rollers and not longer than the width of the speaker.
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
We used putty to limit the dowels when Gary was over at my place, but the putty was messy and I wouldn’t use it again. I’m sure there are easier methods, but I have yet to experiment
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS