Author Topic: First One amp module  (Read 4276 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
First One amp module
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
Looking at this module to have put together.
Anyone here heard or have it. It looks interesting and I have a case (14X14X5.5) to put a pair into if they will fit.
Any input would be helpful. I'm running an Accuphase pre and older Legacy Classics for speakers.
What ya'll think?

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline uncola

• Seeking Help
Re: First One amp module
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
I haven't heard it but my forum friend who I trust has heard it and said it was great and better than ncore(I know the first one module is class ab but with recommended switching mode power supply)

Offline Folsom

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »
What are the speaker specs?

Offline dflee

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »

Just spoke w/ Legacy and they informed me the speaker dips to 3 Ohm. I enjoy the Classics and found them to be quite good w/ the right amp. Old amp was a, a/b and haven't listened enough to class D to warm up to it.

System Type: 6 drivers, 4 way. Tweeter: 4” Ribbon. Midrange: 1.25” soft textile dome. Midwoofer: 7” Kevlar®. Subwoofer: (2) 10”Treated Paper. Low Frequency Alignment: B4 Reflex. Sensitivity: 92 dB @ 2.83 V/1m. Frequency response: 22 Hz - 30 kHz +/- 2 dB. Crossover frequency (Hz): 120, 2.8k, 10k. Recommended Amplification: 25 - 300 watts/channel. Impedance: 4 ohms. Dimensions: 44” H x 12”W x 12” D Weight: 110 lbs.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline poseidonsvoice

• Seeking Help
    • Poseidon's Voice 2 channel audio shrine
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 05:46:55 AM »
dflee,

For your Legacy Classics that I am intimately familiar with, I would recommend a good SS high current design. The First One v1.4 would fit in that regard.

Pinocchio (Do) is a colleague and an expert diy’er - he has a ton of projects under his belt. He also has too many amps in his house.

For $700, this is a steal:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/312279-fs-firstone-v1-4-complete-amplifier.html

Best,
Anand.
System description at WWW emblem below my profile pic

Offline dflee

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Anyone know shipping costs from Canada?
Thanks for the info Anand. I am looking into it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:04:51 AM by dflee »

Offline poseidonsvoice

• Seeking Help
    • Poseidon's Voice 2 channel audio shrine
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 10:06:25 AM »
Anyone know shipping costs from Canada?

Dunno but Do is a stand up honest fella. He lives in Montreal. I think it’s worth it given the fantastic execution of his builds. $50-$75? Perhaps less since there isn’t a large toroid weighing it down. And don’t worry, the SMPS that LC recommends is tried, tested and compared. Very quiet. I would get it but I’m already behind by about 8 amp builds. Frankly, I’m surprised Do is selling it but again the amplifiers he already has at his house are quite good, especially his AMB Beta 24 build that was designed by Ti Kan (yes it is also on my list to be built!).

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:09:03 AM by poseidonsvoice »
System description at WWW emblem below my profile pic

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
Looks like a good deal. It will be MUCH easier and probably cheaper than building one yourself.

Just make sure it can handle the impedance dip on the speakers. It might go as low as 2ohms.

Get shipping quote online from the shippers' websites after you get the weight and size of the box.

Don't forget to tag on a few percent for import duty from Canada. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »