Author Topic: TWEAKS or TWEAKDOM  (Read 167 times)

Offline rollo

• Audio Neurotic
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
TWEAKS or TWEAKDOM
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »
  A very popular subject. An inexpensive way to play around to get better sound. A TWEAK THREAD would be interesting. As an example I have tried several "footers" under various components. All sounded different.
  Everything makes a difference for the good or bad. Trying is fun and the results wrought can be enlightening as you discover what works with what.
  Tweak away my fellow AN friends. Of course report back.

charles
Free in Home demo.
 contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net
Aqua Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  -VU JADE DAC  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers

Offline Folsom

• Seeking Help
Re: TWEAKS or TWEAKDOM
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
Folsom Lillies

Applying No-Rez (without foam) to stylus's that have cavities in them.

If a stylus can wiggle at all, use paper to stiffen it up.

If you have speakers on a stand, use 3 measured shot glasses under them, bottom up, and some "anti slide drawer mat" to stop them from moving against the speaker and stand.

Buy a stylus cleaner that is either Solid State cleaner, ZeroDust, or the sonic cleaner one.

The best one you never knew about... get an ionizing blower off of eBay, use it on your records, and I like to use Jico's Wasabon brushes along with it. The static guns you can buy cost more, and I'm not sure they work nearly as good.

I'll think of more later.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Folsom Lillies

If you have speakers on a stand, use 3 measured shot glasses under them, bottom up, and some "anti slide drawer mat" to stop them from moving against the speaker and stand.

Buy a stylus cleaner that is either Solid State cleaner, ZeroDust, or the sonic cleaner one.

The best one you never knew about... get an ionizing blower off of eBay, use it on your records, and I like to use Jico's Wasabon brushes along with it. The static guns you can buy cost more, and I'm not sure they work nearly as good.

I thought a stylus was supposed to move. Can you pls elaborate? As you mentioned paper, have you tried a light putty or something similar?
Nick
McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
SP Tech 2.1 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline James Edward

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 03:11:24 PM »
Easy and no cost- If you are using single wire cables to a bi-wireable speaker with jumpers, try the various combinations available. Main +- wires to woofer, jumpers to tweeter. Main +- wires to tweeter, jumpers to woofer. Lastly, positive to woofer terminal, negative to tweeter, then jumpers to other posts- then vice versa- negative to woofer, positive to tweeter, then jumpers to other posts. If you don't understand, don't do this.
These combinations can yield significant changes in sound... In my case, the big Legacy Focus SE's sound best in my room with main wires going to the tweeter terminals, and jumped down to the woofers.
From what I have read, some speakers are more amenable to the above than others.

Offline Folsom

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
Folsom Lillies

I thought a stylus was supposed to move. Can you pls elaborate? As you mentioned paper, have you tried a light putty or something similar?
Nick

The stylus is more than the needle & tip. The stylus in relation to the cartridge should not move at all, but many do... Think all AT's, many Orotofons with square designs, etc.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:14:58 PM »
Easy and no cost- If you are using single wire cables to a bi-wireable speaker with jumpers, try the various combinations available. Main +- wires to woofer, jumpers to tweeter. Main +- wires to tweeter, jumpers to woofer. Lastly, positive to woofer terminal, negative to tweeter, then jumpers to other posts- then vice versa- negative to woofer, positive to tweeter, then jumpers to other posts. If you don't understand, don't do this.
These combinations can yield significant changes in sound... In my case, the big Legacy Focus SE's sound best in my room with main wires going to the tweeter terminals, and jumped down to the woofers.
From what I have read, some speakers are more amenable to the above than others.

+1   :thumb:

Keep the jumpers installed. Keep the negative SC on the negative side and positive SC on positive side. But each has two possible locations, so there are 4 possible hookups, experiment to see which sounds best. They all sound different!

Offline rollo

• Audio Neurotic
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
 So far so good guys, thanks.

charles
Free in Home demo.
 contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net
Aqua Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  -VU JADE DAC  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers