Author Topic: Assistance with Minidsp  (Read 5081 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Assistance with Minidsp
« on: October 19, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »
I hate asking for help but I am in a bind. I purchased a minidsp 2x4HD and I can not get my laptop to recognize it, there is most likely a driver issue. I've attempted to work with the manufacturer in Hong Kong but they are useless. In some forums people have made suggestions but none worked. If there is anyone that is proficient in Win 7 environment that could volunteer to assist I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I can not return the unit so I will have to put it up for sale, never used :( Much Thanks.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Assistance with Minidsp
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
Does the laptop have a single USB3 port you can use?  If so, try connecting it to that port with nothing else.  I usually start the XMOS driver install and then plug in the USB XMOS device to see the driver screen change.

Make sure the speaker volume is on an up for the laptop before installing the USB cable, so you can hear the USB start-up tone when it is connected.

Just some things I have tried with good success with other USB XMOS devices.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:22:28 AM »
USB 2 ports. I hear the laptop "ding" recognize that something is attempting to connect but the driver is not installing proper;y so I get the error messages.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
If you go into Control Panel -> Programs, do you see the XMOS driver installed? 

The other place to look is in Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Device Manager and see if the sound card driver loads or something else loads when the USB cable is connected.  Have it open when you connect the USB cable and see what loads.

You might need to update that driver and it may then let it load. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:15:44 AM »
I just got a XMOS U208 USB to I2S Bus adaptor to try with a DAC.  It loaded a bit differently than the other XMOS drivers.  Before connecting the USB to the device, I started the driver load in Windows 7.  It fully installed and finished.  When I plugged the device in, it started by going to Windows update to look for the driver and took a very long time.  The first XMOS driver then loaded and then started waiting again for the second.  I selected do not go to windows update, and then it fully loaded the driver. 

I would uninstall anything it loaded in Programs and reload the driver, then select not to use the Windows update version and see what happens.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
interesting, for the first time my laptop recognizes the mini, but I cant connect via the mini plugin. still seems like one very small step in the right directions Lol :rofl:

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 11:25:57 AM »
If you go into Control Panel -> Programs, do you see the XMOS driver installed? 

The other place to look is in Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Device Manager and see if the sound card driver loads or something else loads when the USB cable is connected.  Have it open when you connect the USB cable and see what loads.

You might need to update that driver and it may then let it load. 

I dont see an "XMOS" driver. However the mini is being seen by the laptop now.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:54 AM »
It is the one you found. 

Other units just use XMOS as the name for the driver, like my Q1 interface. 

Looks like some progress.