Author Topic: Amazing Tweak for Cheap!!  (Read 9024 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Amazing Tweak for Cheap!!
« on: March 03, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Thought I would give this a try to see if it would help and was blown away.
Much improved clarity, definition and blacker background, with a super sweet texture. A great treat for cheap!

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Amazing Tweak for Cheap!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
Later my son modded the tweak, he liked the mod but I think we lost some of the texture.

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »
I love this tweak but it does not work for interconnects so I tried something else.
This tweak did not have as pronounced an affect as the original tweak, but it did help a little, sweetened the harmonics a bit, going to try a different braid, maybe a litz to see if it helps.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »
My kids seem to have bags of treats, I mean tweaks, to try,
here is an isolation device under the tape player, not too sure if I like it thought, will have to revisit it.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 02:23:19 PM »
I decided to play with my speakers.

I love decoupling so decided to try a not too expensive decoupling device, and guess what?  Bazinga! separation like you can't believe.

The boots are new and still need to be broken in so it may improve even further when I get 200 to 300 miles on the boots.
I have another pair of boots that are like Black Gates, they have hundreds and hundred of miles on them and they still are not broken in.!!

And the salt works better than sand, and you can use to soften water or salt your steps!  Good stuff for cheap.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:35:42 PM by topround »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »
Now that everything is sounding delicious I decided to play with soundstage and came across an unusual but effective tweak, literally the walls frigging disappeared, you gotta try it!

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 02:28:02 PM »
Ok I called my friend Mikey over to hear these amazing tweaks, unfortunately by the time he came over my youngest son ate most of the tweaks. Mikey did not believe me so we are going to the store to get some more....
I can't wait to see what tweaks Easter brings!  Peeps under my speakers is the first thing I am going to try..

Please everyone try these tweaks it may do wonders for your system..............................or not............ :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:31:46 PM by topround »

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »
:D
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:03:52 PM »
Now that everything is sounding delicious I decided to play with soundstage and came across an unusual but effective tweak, literally the walls frigging disappeared, you gotta try it!

Just throw a fish on it  :thumb: :rofl:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:16:40 PM »
one swedish fish might tip the balance (pun intended)

Offline rpf

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 05:42:44 AM »
Gefilte fish?
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 06:28:26 AM »
Hey Mike, missed your occasional jabs at the hobby's ridiculousness. Glad you're paying some attention again.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 06:49:13 AM »
No these tweaks really work!

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 05:41:55 AM »
No these tweaks really work!

Mike, thought you're gettin' out of the audio business? 

I've been playing tweaks a little lately also.  You are aware, I've played with my cheap DIY preamp (a Cary vintage kit I did some years ago).  Since I put in a 10 uf on the output side, I've been tinkling with it.  Coupled with the loss of my oldie Meridian CD player (the best sound I've ever had from a CD player), I just never quite liked the sound. The 10 uf opened up the sound, as it was kind of on the dense side.  I just lost much of the tonality I loved. 

I've always had some (wood) cones under the units.  One day couple weeks ago, I just threw a couple of wood flats underneath (from a woodwork project someone was doing), just pine 2x3 wood I think.  Well.... it beat the hell out of those fancy wood cones.  With cones, I've always thought the sound was on the thin side (supposedly they improve on focus and soundstaging).  The mids and lows were never the way I liked.  The NO-COST wood chips somehow gave me back some tonality in the low and mid area. 

However, the highs were still short.  Then, I just threw a book, one of those with glossy paper, i.e. heavier stock paper (not the newspaper type of paper)  under the pre.  Well... I like the sound even more.  Go figure!

So, all these years, blowing away much $$, I could have saved hundreds, and got better sound with junk and..... :rofl: :duh

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
shek, you are smart man you understand the world..
if there is way to make a buck someone will try

Glad you found something that works out for you, without getting suckered....the way it should be....

with  the way the prices for gear are going(sky high) it seems to me the high end audio business is in its last stage before its death