Author Topic: winter hiking  (Read 29666 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: winter hiking
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »
So when are you going to do Everest?

Everest is not that kind of girl. :yay2:

Yah but does she squirt?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
Everest is tectonic formation not volcanic ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
rei is expensive

canada goose is a fad right now

Look at Marmot, Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear, they all make great clothes and you will find them discounted.
Check out Backcountry.com  everyone is selling their winter clothing at discount right now.

Nothing beats down for warmth but it is expensive and does not breathe.
I use synthetic down for hiking, it breathes so much better and keeps you warm, not as warm as down but it is made for aerobic winter use, it is very easy to overheat in down. But for just hanging out nothing beats real down.
Shop around and look at the REI discount rack, you can get good bargains there if they have your size and the color you want.

I have several winter jackets for different conditions, my heaviest is an Outdoor Research parka filled with Primaloft Gold synthetic down and it is so light and comfy to wear, keeps me very warm and I could wear it comfortably inside, like you have nothing on.
I also own a Marmot Headwall jacket that is superlight, water proof, air permeable, and filled with Primaloft Alpha insulation, awesome jacket for aerobic activity in the cold, that jacket layered with some merino wool and maybe a light fleece and you could play out in the very cold with the utmost comfort.

A lot of the high end stuff tends to look pretty use specific, you won't look hip hanging out in Soho or WillyB with some of this stuff, that is where the Canada Goose comes in....but that is the flavor of the month...next year that 500 dollar jacket could be out of fashion, out in the woods there really is no fashion to maintain, skiing on the other hand is a fashion show, so be prepared to spend some money to fit in.

Of course, high end stuff are supposed to be designed to be "functional" rather than pretty. 

I forgot, Campmor's prices seem to be very reasonable.  I love to drop by there whenever I'm in that neighborhood (friends in the Paramus, etc. area).

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »
I believe North Face has a  Summit series, a reference level if you may.
A lot of the other stuff has been designed for commercial sales not real adventures. You have to look higher up the chain for the good stuff.

But for hanging out it is fine. If you use this stuff to work out in the cold then the better designed stuff works great, but this stuff was designed for dealing with the elements, not for fashion.

I went hiking today, started at 18 degrees went down to 6 when we were finished, spent most of the day sweating from climbing, but on the downhills my clothes would breathe off the sweat and I remained pretty dry.
Dry and cold is one thing...wet and cold is dangerous.

I do pretty aerobic hikes, with a group of strong hikers that like to do a lot of miles, so we move fast. Without the proper gear it would be miserable, but today really wasn't so bad, even if it was cold. I made many mistakes in the past, and I learned the hard way, I learned what to wear, what to eat, what to drink, and it is amazing how fast the body can grow in strength and endurance.

My audio hobby has died and been replaced with this new hobby and I hope my body will allow me to continue this hobby for the rest of my life.

shek look up feathered friend, they make really nice down products

Thanks.  Will check out Feathered Friend.  This likely is the good time to buy those winter stuff as they want to close out the winter inventory.....

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »

Of course, high end stuff are supposed to be designed to be "functional" rather than pretty. 

I forgot, Campmor's prices seem to be very reasonable.  I love to drop by there whenever I'm in that neighborhood (friends in the Paramus, etc. area).

Campmor... hiking's answer to Princeton Record Exchange.  :roll:

Except they don't have anything that even slightly resembles a dollar bin.  :rofl:
(Been there, done that......)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Brap

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
Agree on Canada Goose being the fad now  but if your up in Detroit area, swing over to Windsor and get one for $200 less than USD.  They are nice apparel or the elements.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2016, 05:07:02 AM »
If you like Campmor you gotta check out the Mountainear in Keene Valley, in the adirondacks......like Campmor on steroids
Hikers, climbers, campers..just go,  "oh my God" when they enter there for the first time.
But...very very expensive.....just for lookin....or emergencies
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:58:37 AM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 05:27:53 AM »
If you like Campmor you gotta check out the Mountainear in Keene Valley, in the adirondacks......like Campmor on steroids
Hikers, climbers, campers..just go,  "oh my God" when they enter there for the first time.
But...very very expensive.....just for lookin....or emergencies

Well, Mr. Mike, I don't go to the Adirondacks that often, so it'll have to wait, may be a while :lol:.  My brother just came back from the Adirondacks a week ago.  He went skiing.  The overnight temperature up there somewhere I saw on TV was like -83 (with the wind I think).  WHEW!!!!  Good thing didn't hike up there that weekend. :rofl:

Anyhow, was at EMS in Soho yesterday.  They're closing that location, so picked up a couple of pairs of hiking pants and some Merino socks.  70% OFF, not bad.  The pants $18, the socks $6.  Just another one of those rare breaks I get. :drool:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
Markups on clothes are HUGE.
most of the stuff is made in China, I always look for deals because full price is a ripoff, socks for 6 bucks made of merino wool, and they still made a profit.  ......
you will see jackets for instance at $300, then on sale for $129 for the lime green one, why? no one wants the lime green so they sell it cheap
I bought a $200 Marmot down jacket for $40 at the REI clearance rack.
$40 and they still made a profit!

Clothes like audio has HUGE markups
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
    It appears you do not like to spend money. What is the mark up on cold cuts ? You do not give them away do you ?  :duh :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »
yeah I 'm a cheap bastard always looking for deals or for free stuff that people will lend me.

Who could complain about a good deal? I am sure you don't.

Its what makes the world go round. :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:13:27 PM by topround »

Offline Werd

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
yeah I 'm a cheap bastard always looking for deals or for free stuff that people will lend me.

Let me know when your bacon goes on sale. Like a buck a pound. I might drive out and get some.   :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »

Let me know when your bacon goes on sale. Like a buck a pound. I might drive out and get some.   :thumb:

Is that "back-bacon", you hoser, eh?
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Werd

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »

Let me know when your bacon goes on sale. Like a buck a pound. I might drive out and get some.   :thumb:

Is that "back-bacon", you hoser, eh?

I'll take about 50lbs of that for $36 (thats Canadian too not those Trump bucks you guys got now) :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:29:56 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2016, 05:18:35 AM »
Agree on Canada Goose being the fad now  but if your up in Detroit area, swing over to Windsor and get one for $200 less than USD.  They are nice apparel or the elements.

Was at Paragon yesterday, since I haven't been in there for like a year.  They do feature Canada Goose prominently, and profusely too.  Must be high-margin merchandise.  1 parka, -40 degree rating.  $1275 sticker, whew!!!!!!!!!!  Oh, no sweat, they now have 25% off on Canada Goose; what a deal!!!!! :rofl: