Author Topic: NYAR Track list  (Read 11167 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: NYAR Track list
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »
oh no not........Keith don't go :duh

that should be banned,,,just banned

you know what's great about listening to music on a shitty car radio?

Is that you love the music your hearing because you love it
not because it sounds good on your speakers

I am not against a great sounding system, but too much emphasis on how it sounds rather than what you are listening to.

we end up missing so much great music playing Keith don't go, I mean that song sounds great on a clock radio....might as well listen to Bieber( no offense to the newly minted Canadian JoshK)

The rave was great, it taught me so much, and the rave cd's were great as well we used them to critically listen to each others system.
But in the end my ears were so well trained that all I did was find the faults in each others systems, instead of the positives, and music, well that was secondary, and I guess the music lover in me revolted and now I have no system.

In yoga one teacher uses a gong, they bought a new gong and it sounds great. We spoke in class about how differently the two gongs sound. I described the new gong using my audiophile lexicon, and was completly accurate, of course, as we are all trained to do, . A music teacher at the yoga class asked if I was a musician, because she was impressed by my description of the sounds, and it was easy trust me...I responded by saying no, I am not a musician but a music  lover who understands sound.
I could not bring myself to say I am an audiophile, one because most people do not know what that is, and two, they would find it strange to have a hobby around audio gear.

sorry for the digression......
back to jazz at the pawn shop
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 07:29:35 PM »
Ahh.... very true. I like you.
Especially the part about the car radio.  :thumb:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 07:58:10 PM »
I love listening to music in the car.
Unfortunately I spend alot of time driving, but there is something about the car that immerses you while you are moving.

Early morning Bach cantatas
Taking turns at speed to AC/DC
cruising the turnpike to some great jazz (not pawnshop)
most time I keep hitting search on the radio to find something I like, and it could be anything from anywhere
very eye opening, discovering new music

I once had a 1986 VW GTI that had so much work done to it you would think it was a low power ferrari, it handled so well
It had a killer 3 amp active crossover system with Boston acoustic Pro speakers in it, it sounded great,,,,such fun

I wish I never crashed it :duh
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 04:38:45 AM »
oh no not........Keith don't go :duh

that should be banned,,,just banned

you know what's great about listening to music on a shitty car radio?

Is that you love the music your hearing because you love it
not because it sounds good on your speakers

I am not against a great sounding system, but too much emphasis on how it sounds rather than what you are listening to.

we end up missing so much great music playing Keith don't go, I mean that song sounds great on a clock radio....might as well listen to Bieber( no offense to the newly minted Canadian JoshK)

The rave was great, it taught me so much, and the rave cd's were great as well we used them to critically listen to each others system.
But in the end my ears were so well trained that all I did was find the faults in each others systems, instead of the positives, and music, well that was secondary, and I guess the music lover in me revolted and now I have no system.

In yoga one teacher uses a gong, they bought a new gong and it sounds great. We spoke in class about how differently the two gongs sound. I described the new gong using my audiophile lexicon, and was completly accurate, of course, as we are all trained to do, . A music teacher at the yoga class asked if I was a musician, because she was impressed by my description of the sounds, and it was easy trust me...I responded by saying no, I am not a musician but a music  lover who understands sound.
I could not bring myself to say I am an audiophile, one because most people do not know what that is, and two, they would find it strange to have a hobby around audio gear.

sorry for the digression......
back to jazz at the pawn shop

Striking a balance is what it's all about?  It's been good to learn about "audio", know what's good sound.  Then, let the music flow!!!!!!!!!!!  :yay2::yay2:

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »
JATP isn't complete POS, is does image pretty well, but at this point in time
is doesn't ask enough of the playback system to be considered a valid test track. For myself, I got sick to death of it a decade ago and haven't listened to it in at least 5 years. Funny thing, I don't miss it either.
I would much rather listen to the original artists performing that music.
Scotty

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 06:14:22 AM »
I was too harsh on JATP before - I have no right criticizing musicians who are at least trying to make good music. My bad :duh