Author Topic: Tidal has filled a big hole  (Read 29389 times)

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
Re: Tidal has filled a big hole
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 02:33:34 AM »
here is a pic from the BluOs player
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 06:29:38 AM »
OK after a little experimenting it seems that the Bluesound App can find and play MQA files. Unfortunately what it doesn't do is tag the albums in any way to indicate they are MQA. The only way to know is to try playing it and look for the MQA symbol in the now playing box. But this is the same in the Tidal PC app except that there is a Masters tab in the What's New section.

I think Evan's way is the best, just tag the albums you want as favorites out of that Masters section and then they will play just fine in the Bluesound App.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 06:54:49 AM »
But now for the big question.... how do they sound?

I have only done a few quick comparisons, but from what I have heard every album I tried sounded better in it's MQA form. Now of course I am not sure how much that says for MQA itself because I have no way of knowing if the the MQA files were tweaked somehow in the mastering (we all know there can be wide variations among even CD releases of the same album), but I can say that the Tidal MQA files that I listened all sounded better than the Tidal CD quality files.

Another interesting thing is this looks like it will put me in the same situation as I am in with SACD Hybrids. In three out of the four albums I have skimmed through so far the MQA files sound better playing through my non-MQA EE DAC that through the MQA equipped DAC built into the Bluesound Node. (And the one that didn't sound better sounded pretty much the same.)

Not huge improvements, but noticeable ones (at least to us as audiophiles) along the same lines as what I would expect to hear when comparing 44/16 and 96/24 files.

A nice upgrade to what I felt was already a premium streaming service.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »

I have only done a few quick comparisons, but from what I have heard every album I tried sounded better in it's MQA form. Now of course I am not sure how much that says for MQA itself because I have no way of knowing if the the MQA files were tweaked somehow in the mastering (we all know there can be wide variations among even CD releases of the same album), but I can say that the Tidal MQA files that I listened all sounded better than the Tidal CD quality files.

Another interesting thing is this looks like it will put me in the same situation as I am in with SACD Hybrids. In three out of the four albums I have skimmed through so far the MQA files sound better playing through my non-MQA EE DAC that through the MQA equipped DAC built into the Bluesound Node. (And the one that didn't sound better sounded pretty much the same.)

Not huge improvements, but noticeable ones (at least to us as audiophiles) along the same lines as what I would expect to hear when comparing 44/16 and 96/24 files.

LOL

How about we just listen and enjoy
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 10:07:38 PM »

LOL

How about we just listen and enjoy

Hey I'm all about music but when I used to post about it I got all kinds of grief that this was a hardware site and it was not an appropriate place to talk about music. What's a guy to do?  :-k

(Just breaking your chops. Hey at least I didn't fill the recent posts list on the home page.  :rofl:)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
In three out of the four albums I have skimmed through so far the MQA files sound better playing through my non-MQA EE DAC that through the MQA equipped DAC built into the Bluesound Node.

Hey Bill O'Connell, any chance that we might see a firmware for the vintage EE DACS to make them MQA compatable?  [-o<

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »
Hi Tom,

I don't believe so, sorry.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline tmazz

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
Hi Tom,

I don't believe so, sorry.

Bummer.  :(

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
Tom,

I was under the impression that with Tidal software decode of MQA stream you do not need to MQA dac.  Is my impression wrong?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »
Isn't MQA just marketing jargon for 24/96 digital audio stream?
EE can't do 24/96?

What am I missing? That's the question of the century!  :duh

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »
I also have the original EE DAC and wondered the same thing. I found that this DAC has as it's USB transceiver the popular but limited BB PCM2707. That means standard Redbook resolution for streaming files only, not even 24/96.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
Aha thanx Gene

Offline tmazz

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 07:11:53 AM »
I also have the original EE DAC and wondered the same thing. I found that this DAC has as it's USB transceiver the popular but limited BB PCM2707. That means standard Redbook resolution for streaming files only, not even 24/96.

Gene the DAC itself will handle 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 and 192kHz bitstreams, it is just the USB receiver that is limited to 16/44. The SPDIF will handle all of the bit rates and I have successfully used 24/96 over the Toslink connection. I have had trouble sending 24/192 from my Bluesound Node (which only has an optical output). The 192 files loose sync, but I have no way of knowing if the problem is the optical receiver in the DAC or the transmitter in the Node.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 07:18:59 AM »

Gene the DAC itself will handle 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 and 192kHz bitstreams, it is just the USB receiver that is limited to 16/44. The SPDIF will handle all of the bit rates and I have successfully used 24/96 over the Toslink connection. I have had trouble sending 24/192 from my Bluesound Node (which only has an optical output). The 192 files loose sync, but I have no way of knowing if the problem is the optical receiver in the DAC or the transmitter in the Node.

So the EE will do 24/96, just not via the USB interface.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
Isn't MQA just marketing jargon for 24/96 digital audio stream?
EE can't do 24/96?

What am I missing? That's the question of the century!  :duh

Rich, MQA is a new system that will allow hi res audio signals to be transported inside of standard FLAC, WAV and ALAC payloads. I had thought it was packing 24/96 signals, but apparently, according to the article in the link below, the system is capable of packing up to a 24/192 signal inside of a standard Redbook signal.

And unlike other high Res formats, MQA is completely backward compatable with standard CD players and it is said that MQA encoded files, even if only played back on a CD player (without specifically decoding the MQA) will sound better than a native Redbook file.

And it is all done in software, so the only thing required to upgrade any CD player or DAC to be MQA capable is a firmware update.

Since MQA is a lossey signal I would think that an MQA encoded and decoded signal will most likely not sound as good as playing back the native Hi-res file directly, but I am sure it will easily beat playing the same album over on a standard CD.

And it as the additional benefit of greatly reducing the bandwidth required to stream a high res file.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mqa-meridian-s-digital-audio-format-explained

http://www.stereophile.com/content/meridians-mqa-one-listeners-impression#isdKq70zWmfZGyV8.97

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9