Author Topic: Welcome to the Power Conditioning Ward!  (Read 5867 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Welcome to the Power Conditioning Ward!
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:25:34 PM »
A new room for discussing power issues, problems and solutions, power experts and innovators.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Welcome to the Power Conditioning Ward!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:41:18 AM »
Cool!  :thumb: Thanks, Rich!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
   Good idea. Clean power is a must for serious listening. The discussion on what is key for clean power is an interesting subject.
   IMO a good solid ground of ones panel is a good place to start. Actually the panel and where the dedicated lines are is another key factor. Meaning the dedicated circuit should be located on the side of the panel where the Frig Dw, Ac, boiler are not.
    If one has an older home replace the outlet feeding the system or throughly clean the existing one. Changing the breaker supplying the dedicated line will help as well.
    Power conditioning can be a good or bad thing. Meaning the conditioner used. Most do not work with amps. They loose dynamics. If you can have two dedicated lines one for digital and one for everything else do so. Then try conditioners as they can change tonality, affect sound stage and bass.
     Another find  for me was using duplex outlets that are the same metal as the plug used. With copper plugs a copper duplex will bring further improvement. Dis-similar metals will have a chemical reaction like copper plumbing pipes with steel hangers a no no as per bldg. code.
      I call good power the foundation of a great system.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:28:30 PM »
Rich.  Thank you.  There are a lot of us that have figured AC power out to a fairly high degree. Pete is a EE and I have shocked myself numerous times since I was three.  Roll is a true believer since he started investigation of just how much really great power management can improve SQ.

From looking at posts I see a lot of familiar names that have tried just about everything out there and I look forward to strong discussions that are fact filled here.

I look at A great system in an organic context.  There are the brains and limbic system - the front end (whatever that might be) .  There are the pulmonary and lymph systems - cabling.  Muscles - amplification.  There is the heart and liver - power. Without clean power, the rest of the system do not function, or if does - not as it should.  Everything must work in concert to be not only a functioning organism, but an athletic one.

Found this out about 35 years ago at Quincy Street Sound here in Albuquerque.  Had decent recording gear for the time: MCI JH-16 2" multitrack, Urei, Fairchild, DBX, Eventide, an early Lexicon 224X digital reverb, plate and spring reverbs.  Great mics: Neutrik, Sennheiser, AKG, Sony.  A Tangent board (eh, not my choice, but it wasn't my money).  Pretty good stuff, but the SQ just wasn't there.  As the resident tech/engineer/designer/nerd I set out to figure out what was wrong.  Ended up being a massive cluster centered around the line transformer and electrical service feeding the studio.  Took 6 months, but we got our local service provider, the landlord and a great electrician with experience in lab spec technical wiring standards to get it all working.

Thus began my quest to find out why so much "pro audio" power filtration units just flat sucked.  There are a lot of pieces out there on the market today that do more harm than good.  There are also some great ones, too.  Hopefully this new power conditioning niche will be of great use and edification to all of the guys here.

Merry Christmas or the holiday or not of your choice!

Dave
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 06:08:06 AM »
  Dave your experience and knowledge will be a plus for all of us. Awaiting your new Digibuss product for our evaluation.
  There are some designers today using neodymium magnets and different metals around conductors in combo for AC cords.
   Do we know yet what is affecting what with magnets on AC carriers ?
   Then there are crystals in use. Are magnetic fields being affected or managed in any way ?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline uncola

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
Rich.  Thank you.  There are a lot of us that have figured AC power out to a fairly high degree. Pete is a EE and I have shocked myself numerous times since I was three. 

I found rare secret footage of Dave in his garage ;)
https://youtu.be/Niuk6eAOpZw?t=1h1m32s

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »
  First off welcome Uncola. good one.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:46 PM »
Rich.  Thank you.  There are a lot of us that have figured AC power out to a fairly high degree. Pete is a EE and I have shocked myself numerous times since I was three. 

I found rare secret footage of Dave in his garage ;)
https://youtu.be/Niuk6eAOpZw?t=1h1m32s
Dennis and I tore up more than fantasy electricity.  He was a kind man with a love for people.  I had the opportunity to work with him in the studio doing voice overs.  Truly a fun time in my life.

You were closer than you knew.  :-)

Thanks for this!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »
Is that the prototype uberbuss?  :rofl: