Author Topic: Turntables  (Read 20455 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Turntables
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 08:40:02 PM »
VPI Hw-19 Mk IV with an SME Series IV arm and a Sumiko Blue Point Special, sitting on an 24" x 18" by 1" maple platform.

Powered by a VPI SDS

Fed by a Triode Wire Labs Seven Plus power cord. (Don't ask me why, but it does make a significant difference.)

No separate phono stage as the TT runs directly into the onboard Phono input of an Audio Research SP-9.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 04:35:28 AM »
Micro Seiki BL 111
Kuzma Stogi Reference
Ortofon Blue cart (for now)ardas

Vinyl Song LCR phono stage

this is my son's setup, mine is packed away

The Kuzma is wired direct from the headshell out to the RCA's which I think is a big advantage over using a PIT box. As long as the wire is good. The Kuzma is wired with Cardas which is good, they have a silver option as well.

My other tonearm ( Immedia RPM2) is a much better tonearm than the Kuzma, but it uses the PIT box, which I think is a disadvantage sonically.
But still a better sounding arm, until you move up the Kuzma line to the 4 point. Now we are talking!

While the Micro Seiki is clearly head and shoulder better than his Technics TT, he still loves the automatic features of his Technics, which he uses at school.
No more yelling from me that he is the dead wax!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 05:22:02 AM »
ProJect Perspective Carbon (hate the dangly anti-skate - Sounds better w/ it detached)
AT440MLa. Thinking about a Denon DL-110.
CAT SL-1 Ultimate on-board phono stage w/ cheap tubes since I rarely play vinyl. My discs are pretty rooted from the college days.

But thanks to the inspiration from this thread I'll spin some today.

:thumb:

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 07:12:02 PM »
VPI Prime with 3D printed arm
VPI PLC
Soundsmith MMP3
Dynavector DV20x2H
TWL Phono cables

"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 12:35:20 AM »
ProJect Perspective Carbon (hate the dangly anti-skate - Sounds better w/ it detached)
AT440MLa. Thinking about a Denon DL-110.
CAT SL-1 Ultimate on-board phono stage w/ cheap tubes since I rarely play vinyl. My discs are pretty rooted from the college days.

But thanks to the inspiration from this thread I'll spin some today.

:thumb:

I've been using the DL110 for some time . Lots of detail. Just sucks they doubled the price.
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 08:52:48 AM »
All the words are OK, buuuuuutttttt ......

:pics?:

Here are my TTs. Not the prettiest but they do the job.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:54:56 AM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
All the words are OK, buuuuuutttttt ......

:pics?:

Here are my TTs. Not the prettiest but they do the job.

Doesn't much matter what they look like, as long as they sound good.  8)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 07:32:31 AM »
  It appears our community is well versed in vinyl. Lately really getting into the mono records.
   With the Linn feeding a Vista MM and inexpensive Grado mono cart the sound is just glorious. Using the BSG QOL for mono as it has a mono switch is the key to such great sound.
   I had to show the album cover to Triode Pete as he thought I was pulling his leg. Big open and deep.
   Back to the other TT. The Kuzma arm was ordered with optional Crystal Cable [ silver] The 12" arm has on the fly adjustable VTA adj. For me a wonderful feature. 200Gr, 180Gr, Std, and others need VTA adj. to sound their best. never thought it made such a difference until heard.
   The TT sits on a maple plinth resting in a sand box supported by a Target speaker stand on spikes. It is dead level.
   The upgraded power supply fed by TWL 8 cryo only PC is a well suited cord for this application.
    The Loesch & Weisner Phono/preamp is amongst the best I have owned. had a Klyne S5A, CAT SL1 Sing, Miracle audio, Linn and Audio research SP8. The L&W had the most presence and weight. The SS Phono had better bass and detail and were dead quite. The L&W at times has tube issues and the noise is evident. With good tubes my favorite overall.
   So I guess it only makes sense to repair it. But but it is MM and a step up is required for low output MC. Hoye ! Where  as the SS offerings like the Miracle use opamps in lieu of transformer step up. Brilliant IMO. You need to hear one. However out of business.
   Looking for a Klyne 7 series used but no one gives them up. I'm beginning to realize the benefits of a SS PS over a tubed one and yes visa versa.
   The advantage of SS is quite dead quite to be exact and no outboard step up. It just cannot sound thin. I need meat on the bone and accuracy.
   First the new  Miyajima cart. both mono and stereo. Then it will be phonostage audition time.
   Any other suggestions ??

charles

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:35:31 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »
We are currently testing our own low cost outboard phono stage but will need to get a step-up transformer to go with it.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:30:09 AM by Hugh »
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
Pictures.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline tmazz

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
 It appears our community is well versed in vinyl. Lately really getting into the mono records.
   With the Linn feeding a Vista MM and inexpensive Grado mono cart the sound is just glorious. Using the BSG QOL for mono as it has a mono switch is the key to such great sound.
   I had to show the album cover to Triode Pete as he thought I was pulling his leg. Big open and deep.
   Back to the other TT. The Kuzma arm was ordered with optional Crystal Cable [ silver] The 12" arm has on the fly adjustable VTA adj. For me a wonderful feature. 200Gr, 180Gr, Std, and others need VTA adj. to sound their best. never thought it made such a difference until heard.
   The TT sits on a maple plinth resting in a sand box supported by a Target speaker stand on spikes. It is dead level.
   The upgraded power supply fed by TWL 8 cryo only PC is a well suited cord for this application.
    The Loesch & Weisner Phono/preamp is amongst the best I have owned. had a Klyne S5A, CAT SL1 Sing, Miracle audio, Linn and Audio research SP8. The L&W had the most presence and weight. The SS Phono had better bass and detail and were dead quite. The L&W at times has tube issues and the noise is evident. With good tubes my favorite overall.
   So I guess it only makes sense to repair it. But but it is MM and a step up is required for low output MC. Hoye ! Where  as the SS offerings like the Miracle use opamps in lieu of transformer step up. Brilliant IMO. You need to hear one. However out of business.
   Looking for a Klyne 7 series used but no one gives them up. I'm beginning to realize the benefits of a SS PS over a tubed one and yes visa versa.
   The advantage of SS is quite dead quite to be exact and no outboard step up. It just cannot sound thin. I need meat on the bone and accuracy.
   First the new  Miyajima cart. both mono and stereo. Then it will be phonostage audition time.
   Any other suggestions ??

charles

Noise is most problematic in a phono stage, especially a LOMC one, because of the low signal voltages they have to work with. The phono stage required to boost the output of a LO moving coil car to levels that a preamp is happy to deal with. I only goes to reason that any small amount of noise that sneaks in with the signal will also me magnified many times as well.

What do you think about running a SS phono stage into the line outputs of the L&E pre. This would give you the freedom from noise you desire and will a little bit of luck the tubes of the L&W might still be able to fill in the "Meat on the bone" that you desire. Let each piece do what it does best.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:17:02 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
... Let each piece do what it does best.

I'll take the cheeseburger deluxe and a diet coke!  :lol:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »
  Tom actually that is my desire a tubed line stage and SS phono. The Parasound JC3+ is the least expensive class "A" rated PS. A good start.
   The battery powered Dodd is getting a 12V linear power supply in lieu of battery. working on that as we speak. either a custom one by S&G custom sound or a ready made one. Cost is a factor they can be from $125 to $3500.
    The Dodd uses one 6H30 which is a NOS reflector. The other Dodd a 12BH7 [4[ based preamp. The Loesch & Weisner is on hold.
     I really think the Miyajima Shilabe MC [3K] will make the most improvement overall. The Kuzma arm is well engineered and well suited for the new cart. Getting the Nervosa. A good thing.

charles

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:34:27 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
My setup: VPI HR-X with Dynavector XX2 Mk.II through WyWires Platinum Series cables into Zesto Andros 1.2 phono preamp or ModWright LS 100 with tube phono stage.  The dog alerts me to any high frequency digital nasties.

Photo courtesy of Paul Elliott, Capital Audio Fest.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »
   Ooh ooh that should sound marv-vo-lous. Love the Dog mine goes upstairs when CD goes on unless it is classical music, go figure.

charles