Author Topic: A visit to High Water Sound  (Read 3475 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
A visit to High Water Sound
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
The other day a few of us went to visit Jeff at High Water Sound.

First I want to say Jeff is a complete gentleman. I can't say enough good things about him.

A friend is interested in one of his speakers, so Jeff invited him(us) to his place to hang out and listen. I won't say what it is we listened to because none of us here can afford it anyway. But what we got was a wonderful dealer experience, no high pressure sales tactics, no bullshit, no attitude, just a great time  listening to great music, and boy did it sound great.

Amps were 45 tubes , 1.5 watts, and what was rendered was a thing of pure beauty, supremely musical, dynamic, refined, and just right.
It was an all analog rig, so if you do decide to visit leave the cd's and thumb drive at home,because you won't need it trust me he has tons and tons of records.

It was a pleasure to visit a dealer with such class. What we heard was world class by everyones standards, it was all tubes, not a drop of sand to be found, and it was all analog. The associated gear was of the highest level available, as well as the price. All the while he knew we could not afford 99% of the stuff he sells he was the most gracious host.
If I won the lottery I would buy a system from Jeff in a heartbeat!
I can see why Jeff has a loyal customer base and does so well at the shows, a dealer that really gets it!

Mike
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:31:29 PM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: A visit to High Water Sound
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Yep, Jeff Catalano is a true gentleman, known for helping out audio show exhibitors when they're having "issues"...

His rooms always sound great... Yes, Analog & Tubes Rule!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
I knew Jeff way back in the day,  when i lived in NYC,  and way before he was a dealer.   He was a carpenter and  just an audio nut like the rest of us .  Nice guy,    visited his downtown NYC place many times.   He was always passionate about vinyl and tubes,  and had an awesome record collection .   His rig back then consisted of Lamm electronics,  Basis TT,  Aerial 10T speakers.   Certainly a very good system,  but based on the show reports i see......  You've come a long way,  Jeff!    :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:17:38 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »
So, did your friend buy the grestest speakers on earth ?
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 02:56:22 AM »
he he he

I think he is very interested.....I was very impressed by their sound, of course only some of the best was in front of them, but I think they would sound great even with lesser gear, and Jeff would certainly help set them up, which would be invaluable as he is a dealer who knows what he is doing and knows what good sound is.

Now if only we could get some Arion class D amps on them...oh my...then the angels would descend from the ceiling....oh my
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:44:17 AM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:15:35 PM »
   No no no that would be the "hybrid Arion class "D" amps not the non hybrid version of course.
    Jeff is a class act. When he heard the amps he was very impressed in our room at CAF.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.