Author Topic: what happened to the rave  (Read 14239 times)

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: what happened to the rave
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 08:55:25 PM »
We did have a good time at Max's, although the VPI is a bitch to travel with and set up. A Crosley would have been much more convenient.

So many of us have great systems that there's really no need for people to bring their gear to demo/market to attendees (unless they are specifically invited to do so). There's always something better out there. We should just enjoy the sponsor's system has and be eternally grateful for him hosting.

Let's remember that half the fun is the eating, drinking, conversation and reconnecting with old friends.

We also need to make an effort to attend. Many of the most recent raves were either cancelled or sparsely attended because everyone had a reason to not show up.

No reason we can't do large scale again like the "good old days". If no one else steps up maybe I will.

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
Well, I hosted one last November but only 5 or so people showed up. No manufacturers, no salesmen invited, only you guys, my stuff and Putz's turntable.

Maybe folks just don't like Raves anymore...

PS: we still had fun. And I've since built more stuff including a 32bit, DHT output DAC.

It's probably true that fewer and fewer people are into "real" high fidelity.  It's so obvious, as we see sooooo many just wear those crappy-looking ear pieces, playing through their cellphones.  At one times, we thought MP3 files werern't that good.  But, those files have improved, I thought.  Still, mostly is that people don't want to dedicate too much space for a turntable (it's on the comeback trail though, go figure!), a full-sized DAC, separate amps.... and 2 monstrous boxes.....  That's my simplistic thought!

I still enjoy good music presented the old way.  I'm ready for a rave anytime, seeing old faces and new.  But.... even Topround has forsaken us.... so..... that's the trend?????? :duh LOL.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
  Unfortunately dead as the proverbial door nail. Too bad it once was a really cool event. Thans to Levi, Barry and Phil and Hogg as course. Yes Bottomround I mean Topround too. :rofl: :rofl:
   Oh well time marches on.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 08:10:06 AM »
Thanks guys for remembering the good old days of the NY Audio Rave.   :thumb:   

Although we cannot bring back the past, the future surely looks bright.

:thumb: I wish everyone Happy Holidays and a Great New Year 2016! :thumb: :pop

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
Thanks guys for remembering the good old days of the NY Audio Rave.   :thumb:   

Although we cannot bring back the past, the future surely looks bright.

:thumb: I wish everyone Happy Holidays and a Great New Year 2016! :thumb: :pop

Levi we never forget the good guys like you. Still into audio or has Bike riding taken over ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »
Thanks Charles.   :thumb:

I am still into audio.  Cycling is my new passion.  It keeps me fit and healthy.  I can ride my roadbike from Queens to Bear Mountain and back.   125miles and 6,000+ feet of climbing in less than 6hrs.  :rofl:

--Levi

Offline rpf

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »

I am still into audio.  Cycling is my new passion.  It keeps me fit and healthy.  I can ride my roadbike from Queens to Bear Mountain and back.   125miles and 6,000+ feet of climbing in less than 6hrs.  :rofl:

--Levi

Levi,

That's exhausting just reading about it.   :rofl:

Rob
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »

--Levi

Levi,

That's exhausting just reading about it.   :rofl:

Rob

:rofl:

Yes Rob.  You are correct.  It is extremely exhausting.

My muscles ache as I write this.   :thumb: 

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »
Better you than me....  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »

--Levi

Hi Levi, it's been awhile and you ain't getting any younger (says this senior citizen). :duh Google Maps says it's a 6+ hour cycle to Bear Mtn 1-way. You're not pulling an Armstrong here are you?  :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 04:20:12 AM »
Thanks Charles.   :thumb:

I am still into audio.  Cycling is my new passion.  It keeps me fit and healthy.  I can ride my roadbike from Queens to Bear Mountain and back.   125miles and 6,000+ feet of climbing in less than 6hrs.  :rofl:

--Levi

Happy New year, guys!!!!!  Haven't cruised here in a while, and now you guys are talking biking only?  Levi, Queens to Bear Mountain is 6K ft. rise?  C'mon..... don't pull my leg (LOL).  I am planning to do the railroad from W. China into Tibet, and that's some real climb, the highest railroad stop in the world.  Bear Mountain?  We ain't afraid of bears (LOL again)!!!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »
If you are going to Bear Mountain this info may come in handy:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
And be careful on the golf course.......

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »
Thanks Charles.   :thumb:

I am still into audio.  Cycling is my new passion.  It keeps me fit and healthy.  I can ride my roadbike from Queens to Bear Mountain and back.   125miles and 6,000+ feet of climbing in less than 6hrs.  :rofl:

--Levi

Happy New year, guys!!!!!  Haven't cruised here in a while, and now you guys are talking biking only?  Levi, Queens to Bear Mountain is 6K ft. rise?  C'mon..... don't pull my leg (LOL).  I am planning to do the railroad from W. China into Tibet, and that's some real climb, the highest railroad stop in the world.  Bear Mountain?  We ain't afraid of bears (LOL again)!!!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Incidentally, Levi, Bear Mountain is only 1,300 ft. "tall", how did you come up with 6K ft. climbing?  You mean you went back and forth 3-4 times?  :rofl:

Footnote:  If you come across a bear, best perhaps is to lay on the floor, play dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Then, the bears around here are mostly black bears; they're not that lethal (vs. Grizzlies).  Just don't run into mama bear with babies.  That'd be more lethal than any other bear! :thumb:

Footnote 2:  Did you see the new DiCaprio movie (what's the name?), oh, Revenant..... The bear attack is very "fake", mind you.  It wasn't a real bear; that you must know.  You'd immediately recognize that it was a fake grizzly attacking poor Leonard. 

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
elevation gain is calculated by how many feet you climb. In hiking you may ascend 800 feet then drop down 600 feet then up again another 1200 feet then down again. Adding up all the up feet determines total elevation gain.
We did a hike that was 23 miles long and 6500 feet in elevation gain. There are no mountains around here that are 6500 tall. Ups and downs,,lots of them...make the 6500 feet, which is considerable......

and that ride Levi described is very difficult..........so Kudos :thumb:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.