Author Topic: anyone go to RMAF this year?  (Read 5743 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
anyone go to RMAF this year?
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:47:36 PM »
wondering peoples impressions, heard it was very slow this year.
people may be getting burnt out from these shows??
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Re: anyone go to RMAF this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »
I wasn't there personally but my partner handled the show for Purity Audio Design this year. The number were down...both attendees and rooms filled with gear. Part of it could he that RMAF and the New York show are only 30 days apart.
Despite the numbers, Purity had a great show.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Packfill

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »
it is the california shows and maybe chicago that are hurting rmaf.  the ny show was barely ok a couple of years ago, was mediocre last year and looks to be even worse this year.

as a local i wish that was not the case
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:49:08 PM by Packfill »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:48:35 AM »
This was my 10th year attending RMAF.  It is as much about listening to gear as it is live music, panel discussions and meeting with friends.  This is part of the draw that some of the other shows do not have, even though it is farther away.

It was smaller attendance and some of the normal companies did not come.  Some of those were at Axpona in April when I attended.  It also made it easier to demo systems as well, as in the past it was hard to get into some rooms.   

There are so many shows at this time, that folks have to make a decision about which they think will give them exposure for the costs involved, or see equipment they want to audition.  It is always a hard decision.

Just my thoughts. 

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
I with you HAL
I've always enjoyed the shows for more than just getting our name out there. I like socializing with everyone at shows including attendees as well as the people in the press and other manufacturers.
A couple years back, we showed with Bob Carver and it was an interesting time hanging out with Bob for a couple days. Same with Albert from VSA. Both interesting people. In 2012, hanging out with Dean Peer was an honor.
I always have a great time meeting new people as well as connecting with and meeting customers face to face.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
If you've never been, you really should try to go. I've been to the NY shows, and like everything else there, it was crowded, hot, sweaty, and did I mention uncomfortable.
RMAF is so much more relaxed; even the exhibitors appear as if they'll try to accommodate mere mortals, not just reviewers.
This was my second year going, and it really is a pleasure to meet and talk with the person that made your gear. It's also a pleasure to hear so many different approaches to sonic nirvana.
Overall, I found that the lower priced equipment showed extraordinarily well against the stratospherically priced. I understand show conditions affect the outcome, but it cuts both ways.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:02:24 AM »
wondering peoples impressions, heard it was very slow this year.
people may be getting burnt out from these shows??

Isn't there one coming up in the Westchester area? 

I stopped going because I don't have free air miles anymore ROFLMAO.  RAMF is great.  Never been to the Chicago one.  But, that's for more like industry?