Author Topic: Werd's Room Audio Fan  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Werd's Room Audio Fan
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »
Look at this and it cost me under $10 to make. $25 if you include the guitar stand

I call it an Audio Tension Fan. It works too, and pretty dam good. It's giving me more sought after weight in the treble, which I was in need of since I pulled all the insulation stuffing out of the Nola's.

Anyone can build this. It's a $5 pine plank and $3 in cedar shims from Home Depot stapled together. My next one I am going to use screws so I can adjust the tension of each fan blade...  :rofl:.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:41:15 AM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

Re: Werd's Room Audio Fan
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
It appears I have a problem with image shack.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »
I see a new audio product start up company in your future. Maybe you can call it "Werdky Products"

But not pronounced "weird-ky", no, not at all.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Werd

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
It's got WAF written all over it ... actually I got to get rid of it before she gets home.... :rofl:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:58:38 AM »
   Paint it green and it can double for a Christmas tree as well. :lol:
Kidding aside wonder how Shataki started out. A diffuser is a diffuser.
   Reflective mylar panels and diffusers pr any tweeter and properly positioned can tame any tweeter. Positioned on the flloor and ceiling directing the tweeter to diffusers at rear wall. Tricky to do however Eathan Weiner did just that for a customers room. Made his B&W 802 a different speaker. The B&W tweeter beamed at ya big time.
   Room acoustics will help however it appears the weight in the treble may need a component or speaker change. Or maybe just a cable. Stranded copper is my favorite wire for tweeters. Especially multiple fine stranded wire. You may consider fooling with jumpers if bi-wire. A bigger improvement will be had wiring the positive off the amp to the tweeter and negative to the bass, then jump accordingly. More weight, presence and detail.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:33:03 AM »
It's got WAF written all over it ... actually I got to get rid of it before she gets home.... :rofl:

Smart man.......
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »
I got two now.  Repaired the first. These things add reverb. Good reverb that makes you feel like there is a big acoustic bass playing in your room. I don't know how much room gain there is.  I don't think there is any which makes it easy to position. 

Might try it with basswood. Now it's getting expensive.  The shims were the key since I've attach the thin part of the shim to the board. Then it thickens as it extends out.

You know this thing works but look at it. I see how things can get expensive to make it look or re engineer it to look good.  People want things for nothing. Well this is what you get for $10 you want it to look good with some sonic enhancement through research trial and error its going to get expensive.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »
Use some exotic woods from the African rainforests!
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
It appears I have a problem with image shack.

That's not you're only problem

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
next one I am going to use screws...

Werd? Adding MORE screws to his system?

Blasphemy!

Offline Werd

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Use some exotic woods from the African rainforests!

Go spear me a hippo.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »
   Paint it green and it can double for a Christmas tree as well. :lol:
Kidding aside wonder how Shataki started out. A diffuser is a diffuser.
   Reflective mylar panels and diffusers pr any tweeter and properly positioned can tame any tweeter. Positioned on the flloor and ceiling directing the tweeter to diffusers at rear wall. Tricky to do however Eathan Weiner did just that for a customers room. Made his B&W 802 a different speaker. The B&W tweeter beamed at ya big time.
   Room acoustics will help however it appears the weight in the treble may need a component or speaker change. Or maybe just a cable. Stranded copper is my favorite wire for tweeters. Especially multiple fine stranded wire. You may consider fooling with jumpers if bi-wire. A bigger improvement will be had wiring the positive off the amp to the tweeter and negative to the bass, then jump accordingly. More weight, presence and detail.

charles

Carl put Dynamx (equivalent)in these. Taking out the insulation left it a bit light on the treble but not bad. I've been trying to build speaker platforms to take them off their spikes. Lay it flat on the platform. Right now I'm using a dried maple from a woodcarving shop. I've got the front two spikes on and the back is sitting on the wood with a slight backward incline.  It's gives me back the weight on the treble but still not like the way it was with insulation. I can say that he definetely spent time getting the right amount of Dynamax and insulation. He had it perfect for the treble but I like the sound of the cabinet with no insulation. So I am fiddling with it. These very expensive Nobel peace prize wood fan audio invention I made help the cabinet so I might be able to put back some insulation.  :)
We will see.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »
next one I am going to use screws...

Werd? Adding MORE screws to his system?

Blasphemy!

Probably stay with the staples.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,