Author Topic: Heard the best Zu sound last Saturday!  (Read 10489 times)

AcidJazz

Heard the best Zu sound last Saturday!
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Last Saturday Joe hosted a few of us (Ravers) to hear his latest setup featuring Zu Druids w. Zu sub, powered by First watt amp.
Until then, I have never heard a Zu speaker/sound that I liked. This was different, sound was the right balance between too hot and too warm, too forward vs too laid back.
Vocals and piano had the right tone. Guitar tone was at first a bit blurry, but a preamp tube change soon took care of that issue, adding a fair amount body and definition to the plucked strings. Joe will have to fill in the rest of the components in his system.

THank you Joe & family for the fine food and hospitality.

And of course the one and only SpeakerMan...

Who is that man in the red shirt?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:39:49 PM by AcidJazz »

lonewolfny42

Re: Heard the best Zu sound last Saturday!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »
Thank you Joe & family for the fine food and hospitality.

Yes...thank you... :thumb:

New setup much better in your room....I liked it. 8)

Happy listening Joe.... :beer:

Who is that man in the red shirt?

I think it was a ghost....is that room haunted.... :rofl: :rofl:

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »
Congratulation Joe.  Will have to make sure that I am attend next time  :thumb:

Offline gopher

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »
Very nice looking setup!  I bet it really sings...

I'm the owner of upgraded Definition 2s (nanotech drivers and clarity cap MRs on supertweeter network) and I'm extremely curious about the Druid Vs.  I think the defs might be just a tad too much for my space, but that the Druids could be perfect.

Which Zu sub is being used and, do you feel the sub is really necessary?

From personal experience I'll say Zu speakers can sound very special, but I don't find them to be as simple as plopping them down and mating decent electronics to them.  Very careful placement and component matching is necessary to get them sounding good, but when done right they can be exceptional.

The pair of Soul Superflys I used to own dropped a few jaws in its time with me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:03:24 AM by gopher »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »
Good news Joe. Wish I could have made it.

On another note - I understand VPI has now begun manufacturing their new platic 3D printed tonearm. Always looking out for you my friend.  :thumb:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
Nice Joe.. Congrats. I still havent heard Zus I liked either. What amp are you using, Class D? Peace!
Its cool ndude.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »
Very nice set-up. I wish I could have been there as I've always been curious about Zu Audio speakers. I always thought Zu Audio stuff sounded best when run off flea watt tube amps or lower wattage Class A type amps. I don't think I've ever read someone using higher powered Class D type amps with them. I'll try to find Ryan Tew's contact information. I'm sure with his Red Dragon amps he must have tried them with Zu Audio stuff. Both companies are in Utah and probably have crossed paths through the years.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »

Why is this being posted on the NY Rave circle?

This was obviously a "by invitation only" gathering and not open to all Ravers.

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

AcidJazz

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
Have another cigarette baby, NYAR has gone private.   :lol:

From personal experience I'll say Zu speakers can sound very special, but I don't find them to be as simple as plopping them down and mating decent electronics to them.  Very careful placement and component matching is necessary to get them sounding good, but when done right they can be exceptional.
I have heard Zu speakers on many occasions, 3+ times in a home settings, and many more times in a show settings, and if the Zu people(multiple show settings+1 home demo)cannot get their own speakers to sound at least decent...well there you have it.

The sub really did take it to another level IMO, it was running at a very low level. My best compliment of a system is when I 'feel' fluidity in the music, Joe system had a nice flow, very liquid-like.
At one point we swapped in Jim's tube amp (EL34 based) for the First Watt, yummy, even more 'liquidey'.   :thumb:

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
So Joe you finally did the low-watt thing - You've been talking about that for a while.

I'd like to hear those for sure someday, also having not been impressed by Zu sound a D's.

I have Tommy's new little amps here and if you want we could pop them if for a listen. Much more subtle nuance and detail than the big Cherry, without the sledgehammer bass, good or bad.

-Mike

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 10:24:15 AM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry it wasn't an open Rave party, but my room is just to small.
I'll have some more GTG so more people could attend!

Yes, finally went the hi eff. Low watt route. It takes time with placement and good synergistic components to make them sing. Fooled around with toe in and now you get a good stereo image not only from the sweet spot.

These new Zu's are very fast, dynamic, and lively with good detail. They are more linear then their older driver speakers.

No I'm not using the Spectron. It sounded pretty good with it ,but it is overkill. I'm using a First Watt J2 amp which drives it plenty loud!

I have the Druids paired up with an Undertone sub which, I think takes these speakers to another level. No more overloaded bass in my room, finally. The sub fleshes out the tonal balance and expands the soundstage!

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »

Never mind me, Joe. Something was aggravating me that day :oops:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »
No problem, Emil. I didn't take it as an insult. Maybe if puss face next door wants to have a joint Rave we could swing a full Rave! :thumb:
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »

Never mind me, Joe. Something was aggravating me that day :oops:

JUST take another puff of your cigarette, Emil.  You'll smoke over it :rofl:.

Oh, Joe, isn't Emil a pharmacist?  He had a little too much prescription drugs I suspect, Joe. :duh :thumb:.

Sorry, Emil, I'm picking on ya! aa

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
No problem, Emil. I didn't take it as an insult. Maybe if puss face next door wants to have a joint Rave we could swing a full Rave! :thumb:

Yeah, knock down the wall! :thumb: