Author Topic: Hypex NCore NC1200 Amps at my house today...  (Read 16297 times)

ua100k

Re: Hypex NCore NC1200 Amps at my house today...
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »
Yup, not really sure how he got into his own audio company, but he's pretty active in some of the other area audio groups.

Guess he didn't like the NY Raves. I understand. :rofl:

Like the NY Raves however Audio Nervosa does not like me. Unfortunately I am very reliant on the feeds which I done get a lot.

Had the company just after I hosted the NY Rave. Started with a Contactless pre-amp. Now moved on to amps, speakers etc. Great to do what you like.

ttungus

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
Hi Barry,
I also own a pair of DAC Cherry monos and wondering how Cherry measures up to the NC1200?  I am contemplating switching because I find Cherry mono needs a bit more full body sound.  Are Ncore400 and NC1200 more textured and fuller bodied?

Thanks,
Tony

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »
Tony, I haven't had a chance to A/B the two, so don't feel confident making any distinctions in their sound at this point. My aural memory is not long, or acute, enough to compare from memory unless there is something grossly out of whack. With the amps in question, there are no gross short comings that come to mind, so a direct A/B would be needed for me to make that kind of differentiation.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
 SOOOOOOOOO, what did they sound like ?? Thin ? bright ? none of the above ?
   With all the buzz over these amps we need to know.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

ua100k

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »
This is my baby so bear with the bias.
These are called Merrill Audio VERITAS Mono Blocks.

The words that were described to me.
1. Coherent - Bob (owner of the apogee which is a strong quality for the speakers).
2. Dynamic, fast, tight bass - general direction of my left.
3. I did a very good job, excellent amps - Triode Pete.
4. Looks nice (pointing to the chassis), as their munched on their ribs.
5. Really tasty (that was the ribs).
6. You can really feel in here - Paul (pointing to his tummy). Although I cannot be sure sure he was referring to the amps.

That was all I heard.

The Difference from the Classe CA200 was huge for me. A lot faster, eliminated the use of a sub woofer. You could feel the power on all the pieces, bass, crack of a drum. A lot more detail, clarity and stage.

The VERITAS Mono Blocks are based on the NC1200 which every one knows, and augmented in a solid billet aluminium chassis. See more of all the upgrades on the website for Merrill Audio.net

Triode Pete's Power cords 7AWG made a huge difference, easily beating out the Synergistics Precision Basik cable. You got a lot more punch and soundstage.  As Barry motioned to me with his finger sliding horizontally across his throat, Synergistic is out. The 7's are nice an soft for such a large cable.

Thanks to Paul for his excellent hosting and cooking, which left him little time for listening.
I spent the rest of the time eating. So hopefully someone who did not have the mouth full of food can provide more reviews.

I had given a friends and family price. Please email/call me for the details.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:24:05 PM by ua100k »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »
Here were my impressions, from Classe to TWL.

The Classe just didn't seem to really drive the inefficient Salk's as well as you would expect. They didn't sound bad, not at all, but the sound was a bit incoherent top to bottom. There was no real integration tweeter to woofer, and the bass seemed MIA in some respects.

In went the Morrow's Merrills and the speakers gelled. Much more coherent top to bottom, with no one driver standing out, but a bit reticent in the top end. Bass was tight and controlled.

In went the TWL 7+'s and the whole thing extended top and bottom while adding a bit more openness and bloom and dynamic and keeping the coherency. It just gripped the speakers and controlled them without breaking a sweat.

No, it was not tubelike, but neither was it digital sounding (as I've heard from other switching amps).

I corrected the name of amp Co for clarity, Barry ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:05:16 PM by Barry (NJ) »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.