Author Topic: Is one System Enough ??  (Read 24348 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Is one System Enough ??
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
   For me one room several options in feeling of the room. I like different venues when listening to live music. For Jazz the Bluenote had a sense of lush and full with softer bass. Where as other venues are bright and dynamic as heck.
    I think you get the picture different rooms create different tone. So is two rooms and two systems ? Impractical for most but an option. That is what got me to thinking two or three different types of speakers and amp combos. The front end would be the main stay. Either TT or CDP.
   For that full rich sound Rockport Mira's, Vandersteen 5As, vintage Snell, Tannoy, Klipsch and for a less colored tone say Magico, Theil, Wilson or Pipedreams. 
   For now I use different tube sets to accomplish my preference for a particular venue. No trade offs just different. A crowded small venue as opposed to larger less occupied venue will always sound different.
    Now some say that a neutral system can transport one to the venues of the recording. However neutral to me is unrealistic. I was not at the recording session so I have no clue as to what it really sounded like before the mixer or mikes.

Chew on this a while.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
Initially I thought one system would be enough but just like The Cure sings It's never enough. ;)

For me these are the systems I currently have.

1) HT set-up
2) 2.1 Channel music set-up
3) Headphone set-up for privacy. (I get to listen to Huey Lewis in private without anyone poking fun at me.)
4) Basement set-up.
5) Garage set-up. This music only system consists of old cheap gear. Most of the time I don't even consider it a system. I set it up so I'll have some music playing when I'm doing various chores.

The idea in previous threads about having different systems for different kinds of music or types of listening environments is cool but very hard for me to do. For me I like having different systems to try different kinds of audio gear. My basement set-up was initially supposed to be strictly budget (<$400 per component) with the exception of one of my amps but then it became the rig where I would enjoy music from different kinds of audio gear. The gear would be something that interested me or I was curious about after doing some reading. My basement set-up now has a tube DAC and Baldwin tube amp now along with a bunch of SS gear I already had. I was also curious about single driver full range speakers and ended up with a pair of GLOW Audio Voice One speakers in that system now in addition to the 2 pairs of KEF speakers I already had in there before. It is getting quite messy in my basement now.

I keep the other systems pretty much the same though. Maybe a tweak or cable gets added but no major equipment swaps.

Thanks

IPL

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
I'm currently in the midst of this dilemma. I'm looking to make some major upgrades to my main rig...which is in the living room....so I guess I should say it's the family's rig ;) We listen to a ton of music....pretty much daily and it's a strictly 2 channel vinyl spread....so at least it's only a few components  :roll: I'm hoping to use the bulk of my current set-up to build an experimenting/testing rig upstairs in the office. I have the vision and the research is done....just have to convince my wife that spending the cash is the RIGHT thing to do. Luckily she fully supports my vinyl lifestyle.....to a point  :thumb: 

Offline rpf

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
Despite my earlier posted, unlikely ever to be realized fantasies, what I find to be essential is 1) a main tubed system that does all music at least decently, 2) a headphone system for private listening, and 3) a SS powered monitor based system I can leave on for as long as I like for streamed background listening. (I actually have two of the last, one in the living room and one in the office/den - both Audioengine based).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:10:35 PM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 05:31:17 AM »
Went down that road last year. Aside from the main rig I managed the following

Bought a little 30W T amp and paired it with a USB DAC from HifimeDIY.com and a pair of AR50 speakers being fed from my computer. A nice little system for the desktop.

Before that my daughter blew up my 30 (40?) year old NAD3155 integrated so I picked up a melody tube integrated and paired it with another HigimeDIY DAC and a pair of Clemons bookshelves fed by my Android phone. This in the back room of the house, but also feeding my outdoor speakers on the deck.

Then there's the inexpensive home theater system in the livingroom.

Each system has its purpose and fits the need nicely.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:13:20 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

IPL

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:25 AM »
Well, the wife quashed my tube dreams. Had my eye on the Eastern Electric M520 and a pair of Decware DM945s or Audio Note AX Twos. So, essentially a $2,500 investment. Since we just had our second child she had to talk some sense into me....ha! I ended up with an $800 budget for the second system. Found a pair of Quad 11Ls and an Audio Analogue Primo Settanta used online both for a mighty good price. That's what I love about this hobby....spending money on a fancy rig is fun but finding a value based set-up for short money is even more fun  :)

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »
For me music isn't system dependent on type of gear but how loud I play it. So I would use another system that focuses more on low volume. A minimalist full range driver maybe. Get like a 3 watt amp with no preamp source direct to amp. Got one volume and then find speaks that match to the volume I want through speaker impedance.

I know nothing about this kind of gear so I would end up here on this board asking questions trying to figure it out.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 06:38:19 AM »
one system isn't enough cuz i am not always in one room.  but every system must be great on all types of music.  ;)

doug s.

Hey Dougster good to see you here again.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
Wow, this thread has been kicking around over the years and I suspect that how we would respond has changed as well. 

For me, I have three listening 'mindsets':

1) critical listening - my big rig and the one I'm most invested in.  We all have at least one of these or we wouldn't be here.

2) multiple other systems so that I can listen to music wherever I am - bedroom, kitchen, outside porch, dining room... this is more about background music while doing something else but it needs to be reasonably good.  My various squeezebox devices still serve me well  in this capacity.

3) personal immersion via headphones - while I've always had at least one set of nice headphones, I find myself with headphones or iems on far more of late.  Work, bathtub, traveling, exercising, etc.  Tech these days makes this not only very good but also quite affordable.

So yes, one critical listening system is enough, but no, one place to listen to music is never enough.  In fact, I want every place I spend extended time to have music available.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
I'm not sure I would need multiple systems. However I have considered purchasing a planar speaker system (Maggie) to compare/contract with my dynamic speaker system. I think they are selling an inexpensive version that is getting good reviews and doesn't take over the entire room.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
Simple. You need 4.  One. for your main space. Two. for your man cave. Three. A head amp and several pair of headphones.

And Four. An outside portable system.
Its cool ndude.

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
My sub systems are all hand me downs from previous upgrades to my main A system.

My attic train room has all my recently replaced main music room equipment and cables. So now this is the B system.

My garage system has all the left overs from previous upgrades. Now the C system.

My Dads garage gets anything left over from all the previous. And its better than most garage music systems.  :D
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 03:36:28 PM »
Seems like 'system' can be anything.. iphone and the stock buds are technically a system... and I use that when biking.  I'm looking at wind-stopping solutions for that system now. 

I think the spirit of the post was sort of a 'how obsessed are you?' kind of thread where we discuss how we have 2 or 3 systems as our tone controls in 1 room; kind of an obsessive hobbyist mindset.

If I'm just bragging about my systems, because I like them:
1- Main rig in basement; hasn't changed much in years... tried a few things but just upgraded what I had in the end.
2- Middle-floor audio; bookshelves, integrated amp, background and fun music. 
2a - B-channel's go to deck speakers for seamless entertaining with consistent experience musically. ;)
3- Upstairs bonus room in-wall HT 5.1 setup w/ streaming driven by receiver
4- Master bed and bath luxury system; driven by A/B channels from receiver using SB3.  Synchronized music for whole-house experience.
5- Headphone setup 1 - ADL 128+ADL amp w/ my phone
5a - Headphone setup 2 - Sennheiser Momentums
5b - Headphone setup 3 - Bose earbuds, iphone buds, etc. for biking
6- OEM car systems (1 per car)

So are 5+ systems 'enough'?  I think so.  ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
   Five eh !. It is a wonderful thing.

charles

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »
I can see systems for different rooms so one can be entertained.  :)

I have one main system with switches (always in parallel), so I can alter the sound when needed. Since the recording encompasses half the total live venue to playback path, one sometimes needs to compensate for the recording
flaws. I know that is kinda "cheating".

As examples, most of the time I like "neutral" for most classical, jazz etc for the most natural sound.

I sometimes find that oldies but goodies etc are a little thin or full on the bottom, so I switch and presto, filled out or thinned a hair for a more natural sound. I like the flexibility.

In fact, I have switches with multiple positions on the speakers, amps, and a variable control on the preamplifier.

The only downer I find is that it takes a little time for the contacts to "settle in".

Cheers
Positron
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:29:31 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers