Author Topic: want recommendations for small 2 way speakers and powered sub  (Read 39482 times)

Offline AJ Soundfield

• Seeking Help
    • Soundfield Audio
Re: want recommendations for small 2 way speakers and powered sub
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2018, 03:54:08 AM »
Nick you're all over the place man.  :D
Ok, so the KEF/B&W? stands are out and you would consider 47lbs ok?
Yes Brian Ding is cool and a very sharp guy (PhD EE, not some hack fiddling about with electronic circuits and imagining hearing stuff), he speaks my language..and knoweth what he speaks. Can't beat those L12s bang for buck and they are relatively small. So it you put short stands atop them to KEFs you'll be fine.
Wasn't aware you're not averse to y-cables (some audiophile believers freak out about simple stuff like that). That will work. The cables will act as a voltage divider, but your amp is way more power than KEFs need, so the slight drop in gain will be moot. Only potential issue is ground loops, but not inevitable. Both power supplies are well designed. If you go that route, you can avoid going through the dsp with your main amp/KEF, feed the "sub" Y out to dsp>sub. A plain ol Mindsp2x4 ($100) will be plenty there. You can high pass the KEF using an inline Fmod at say 100hz.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker Manufacturer

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2018, 04:37:17 AM »
Nick you're all over the place man.  :D
Ok, so the KEF/B&W? stands are out and you would consider 47lbs ok?
Yes Brian Ding is cool and a very sharp guy (PhD EE, not some hack fiddling about with electronic circuits and imagining hearing stuff), he speaks my language..and knoweth what he speaks. Can't beat those L12s bang for buck and they are relatively small. So it you put short stands atop them to KEFs you'll be fine.
Wasn't aware you're not averse to y-cables (some audiophile believers freak out about simple stuff like that). That will work. The cables will act as a voltage divider, but your amp is way more power than KEFs need, so the slight drop in gain will be moot. Only potential issue is ground loops, but not inevitable. Both power supplies are well designed. If you go that route, you can avoid going through the dsp with your main amp/KEF, feed the "sub" Y out to dsp>sub. A plain ol Mindsp2x4 ($100) will be plenty there. You can high pass the KEF using an inline Fmod at say 100hz.

cheers,

AJ

AJ,
Yes, agree somewhat with you. Lots of opinions and information to assimilate  8-[ Heck, it took me quite a while to make a decision on speakers and those little LS 50s worked out great. 47 lbs is still more than I’d like, but better than 58 lbs.....
As to y splitters, I’m ok doing that, but would much prefer a connection like the speakons that REL and Sumiko use. SVS has speaker terminals and that’s still preferable to y splitters, but can’t have everything.....
As to a device like the minidsp, that would be ok with me.
When you combine wife + budget + space limitations, it’s never an easy process
Nick

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:39:24 AM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline AJ Soundfield

• Seeking Help
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2018, 04:52:04 AM »
47 lbs is still more than I’d like, but better than 58 lbs.....
Sure, but once you plop them in the one spot on either side of rack you want them, there is no need to move again. Placing them under KEFs will make integration easy, any resulting peaks at the LP can be easily addressed with the dsp. You can really tailor the bass sound from your seat that way. If you opt for the Minidsp2x4HD, there is a remote option, where you can use the 4 presets to have different levels/eq of bass. One for lower level listening, rocking out, etc.

As to y splitters, I’m ok doing that, but would much prefer a connection like the speakons that REL and Sumiko use. SVS has speaker terminals and that’s still preferable to y splitters, but can’t have everything.....
I'd respectfully disagree. I'd find a Y superior to using the built in speaker level high pass on any sub, because that is going to involve a large value electrolytic cap, regardless of bling brand name. It also keeps the DSP on a separate pass from your main amp. Your mains will all the flavors you have chosen with DAC, pre, etc. just like now. The dsp box will be inline only with subs. MMV.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker Manufacturer

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »
47 lbs is still more than I’d like, but better than 58 lbs.....
Sure, but once you plop them in the one spot on either side of rack you want them, there is no need to move again. Placing them under KEFs will make integration easy, any resulting peaks at the LP can be easily addressed with the dsp. You can really tailor the bass sound from your seat that way. If you opt for the Minidsp2x4HD, there is a remote option, where you can use the 4 presets to have different levels/eq of bass. One for lower level listening, rocking out, etc.

I'd respectfully disagree. I'd find a Y superior to using the built in speaker level high pass on any sub, because that is going to involve a large value electrolytic cap, regardless of bling brand name. It also keeps the DSP on a separate pass from your main amp. Your mains will all the flavors you have chosen with DAC, pre, etc. just like now. The dsp box will be inline only with subs. MMV.

cheers,

AJ

I’m still deciding on which brand of subs. After some discussion, my wife would prefer to start by simply placing the subs either side of the rack. If that isn’t satisfactory, then kefs on top of the subs. Yesterday, I did some reading and looked on YouTube regarding the minidsp. Seems quite an excellent product and at excellent prices.
As to the y splitter, the speakon is simply my preference as to how to make the connection. I wouldn’t be qualified as to judge anything else.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS