Author Topic: DAC PLUS with Dexa Discrete op-amp thread  (Read 24337 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: DAC PLUS with Dexa Discrete op-amp thread
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
OK my turn-

EE Minimax Plus with Dexa discrete op-amps:

For the past awhile my listening has been getting less and less critical and more about just enjoying the music (and esp. new music), so I don't have much to say about the nth degree of stage depth or separation between the 2nd and 3d cellos etc.

In comparison to my previous dac (original EE, with numerous different op-amps) I find the Plus to be a significant step up in all areas. Very non-fatiguing yet still detailed and delicate when asked.

Some have commented that the bass is a bit too much, but not for my tastes. This is what my Cherry Plus stereo amp does best - churn out subterranean bass with control and limitless ease. I find the EE dac bass to be excellent - detailed, nuanced with great pitch definition. I heard melody lines in the bass that just seemed to matter more to the overall musical passage than I remember.

About the bass balance thing - Every CD player or dac I've seen measured for the past like 20 years has been ruler flat in the bass, and we've all heard players that were either weak-kneed or powerhouses down there, so I don't know where that difference comes from. It'd be interesting to see measurements of this dac w/ the Dexas to see if they really are adding something.

I have no complaints w/ the mids or highs, although I could see how the powerful bass, if you aren't used to it or is not your cup of tea, could seem to make the midrange slightly recessed. I'd just call it smooth and anyway who wants digital midrange that is overdone/too present, anyway? Not me...

I haven't pulled the tube yet (hope it's OK with Bill since it's on the safe side of "Won't void the warranty"). Maybe tonight but with the damn (but blessed) AC running it kinda ruins critical sessions.

Do I want one?  I had always planned on getting this same version, w/ the Dexas, to replace my original, and hearing this unit has confirmed this belief. But alas some big car repairs (anyone smitten with an older E46 BMW can tell ya' - Oh, but how it handled on the Blue Ridge Parkway last weekend...) have put me in a little pinch. But we'll see...
The $$ I got for the original has somehow been absorbed back into the general coffers (something about "Audio Statute of Limitations"  :rofl:)

Still do want, though.

Thanks Bill for the generous tour. I've had the unit for a few weeks and plan on bringing it to Deepak's for the Zu Party on the 7th. Hope that's OK with everyone.

-How to sum up. It's a great dac that allows you to listen to the music and not the gear. Corny and overused yes, but true IMO.

Oh - all impressions are of the SS output - Still like the increased info that comes through - less tube editorializing.

-Mike

Nice review, Mike! I was so impressed with the unit that I purchased one (with the Dexa's) from Bill at Morningstar. May be bringing it to the Capital Audio Fest in Suite 347. Based on system synergy, some like the tube output, others prefer the SS output. I'll be rolling in a Brimar T-Series 6067 this weekend to stermine my preference... think I prefer the tube output...

Have a great weekend everyone... stay cool!
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 05:06:51 AM »
Digital source was stock Jerome pwr supply > stock Squeezebox Touch w/ Soundcheck mods (oxymoron I guess) >Black Cat Veloce digital cable that I can't even tell you without looking if it's into the RCA or BNC of the DAC.

After more critical listening to a variety of music I think I'd like to have a little more snap from the Dexa'd dac. More bite to the snare drum.

I'm not sure that the Dexas will be the best choice for everyone's system, after hearing what op-amp rolling did to my previous EE original dac (Want smoother and more luxurious? Add an OPA627; want more zing? Add LME 49710/20 (IIRC) etc.).

From what I've heard from others, Pete's system is dynamic as heck and so I can see the Dexa dac working perfectly for him. In my system I am usually trying to add some more life w/out getting a too aggressive sound - also my room is pretty dead so what my speakers put out is pretty much what I get. Sometimes the sound kinda gets "stuck" in my speakers - like I want it to sound like it's easier for the sound to jump out of them - not a problem Pete has on his million db sensitive horns 8).

Tubes vs SS, Robin?  I guess I'm biased, having liked the SS of my original so much more than the 3-4 tubes I tried in it. Probably explainable by my system description above. Problem is if I add too much spice to the system, some music gets a bit too aggressive and I'd rather have a few more cuts be too smooth than a few cuts be too aggressive. But I still want some jump factor too. Picky picky...

-Mike

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
I was curious what your take on the tube output was like in your system Mike. In my highly dynamic system, the tube ouput was a blessing, a gift oh my(stolen from Rollo :D). I'm sure Bill including his favorite Mullard tube had something to do with that. I really hated to part with the EE DAC+.  :duh

I remember your system as being laid back but I also haven't heard it with the Digital Amplifier Cherry which I'm sure was a gamechanger for you. Someday I'd like to take that journey back to the Pa. border town,,,,,,,

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
The EE comes with TI 5532 opamps. On Semiconductor also makes a 5532 which is 90% as good as the original Signetics/Phillips according to Sol. Signetics are also available on Ebay for $4 ea.

TIs are pretty bad compared to the others, so the Ons at 1.30 each might be a cheaper option than dexa or fancier opamps. Get a chip remover tool also to make removal easier and safer.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/NE5532NG/?qs=8sOby8ZxZLGwDVAfpjm2QNUkBaxMhkNeLUnw9%2f1MZM0%3d

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
Is anyone else on the tour?  I have the dac right now and need to send it along to the next person.  If not, I will ship it back to Bill on Saturday.

Thanks

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »
Bill,

DAC shipped back to you.  Sent you a pm with tracking information.