Author Topic: Hi-Rez Thoughts by J. Valin  (Read 3538 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Hi-Rez Thoughts by J. Valin
« on: May 19, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »
I have been to many audio shows- RMAF, NY, and demonstrations at dealers and people's homes.
I agree with Valin's findings, but he states it far more eloquently than I ever could. Forget the analog/vinyl part of the equation- I agree with him where he says that he prefers cd sound to that of hi-rez files.
Convenience factor aside, for me, cd sounds more natural than hi-Rez files.
Here is the editorial; as you can see from the comments, this is not a popular position...
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-emperors-new-server/

Thoughts?

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Hi-Rez Thoughts by J. Valin
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:54:12 AM »
I've had the opposite experience.  I find the HiRez files for many labels sound far superior to the CD equivalent. 

The DAC being used for replay from the Music Server has an impact and I find that linear phase filters used by many sound digital.  Trying filters that are not linear phase make a big step in sounding better for digital replay. 

I built a DIY DAC using the AKM AK4490EQ DAC and Async USB interface which has reconstruction filters that are not linear phase.  It was in the DIY room at CAF2016 and driven by a Linux based music server, sounded very good and played HiRez files.  Had lots of comments on very good sound quality for HiRez replay files and CD files. 

When you can find identical CD and HiRez files from the same master recording, in playback the HiRez has always sounded superior. 

The entire vinyl vs digital write-up has to many differences in mastering requirements to be a comparison.  You may have a preference, but they are not identical to start.

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
My impressions are based only on anecdotal evidence, nothing more. I didn't mean to infer that what I like is correct, it's just been my preference.
There are many iterations of file playback I guess... It's just that my experience at shows has been to prefer the sound of cd playback via a good quality player.
Next show for me is T.H.E. Anaheim- I'll continue to listen, and see what happens...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:11:08 PM »
My impressions are based only on anecdotal evidence, nothing more. I didn't mean to infer that what I like is correct, it's just been my preference.
There are many iterations of file playback I guess... It's just that my experience at shows has been to prefer the sound of cd playback via a good quality player.
Next show for me is T.H.E. Anaheim- I'll continue to listen, and see what happens...

I can understand it James. If the manufacturer designs a component/system around redbook, hi rez may not be perceived as inferior.

Conversely, if a manufacturer designs a component/system around hi rez, redbook may be perceived as inferior.

Things have gotten so complicated that it can be difficult when starting or upgrading a system.

Cheers and all the best James.
Steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
I've had the opposite experience.  I find the HiRez files for many labels sound far superior to the CD equivalent. 

The DAC being used for replay from the Music Server has an impact and I find that linear phase filters used by many sound digital.  Trying filters that are not linear phase make a big step in sounding better for digital replay. 

I built a DIY DAC using the AKM AK4490EQ DAC and Async USB interface which has reconstruction filters that are not linear phase.  It was in the DIY room at CAF2016 and driven by a Linux based music server, sounded very good and played HiRez files.  Had lots of comments on very good sound quality for HiRez replay files and CD files. 

When you can find identical CD and HiRez files from the same master recording, in playback the HiRez has always sounded superior. 

The entire vinyl vs digital write-up has to many differences in mastering requirements to be a comparison.  You may have a preference, but they are not identical to start.

Hal starting to see the light myself. With a music server now capable of DSD128 compared to Redbook it sounding better and better to me.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.