Author Topic: Do Higher MP3 Bit Rates Pay Off?  (Read 5034 times)

Black Sand Cable

Do Higher MP3 Bit Rates Pay Off?
« on: May 07, 2007, 08:03:05 PM »
I came across this in my travels.....

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/do_higher_mp3_bit_rates_pay_off

I personally do everything at 320kbs but I do agree that VBR done right is very good also.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:15:35 AM »
Interesting article. Thanks John!!

Hey that test was flawed! It all sounded so good, I wanted to know more about that amazing soundcard. Soundblaster X-Fi uses DSP "X-Fi Crystallizer" to "automatically" (undefeatable?) manipulate compressed files to sound as good as DVD-Audio! Hey No wonder there was no perceivable difference, X-Fi makes all compressed files sound like uncompressed DVD-Audio (24bit/96kHz)! Hallelujah! Our new high end source has arrived, and it is only $100! And it can do surround sound, and stretch songs to make them longer or shorter, and add echo to make it sound like Giants Stadium concert, and play computer games, and take notation and ....

Since it makes all compressed files sound like DVD-Audio, might as well have compressed to 64kpbs!  :roll:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:52:54 AM »
Yes, and I'd like to know more about what qualifies someone as an 'audiophile'. ;)  I think we should get a license or something. ;)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:09 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
Yes, and I'd like to know more about what qualifies someone as an 'audiophile'. ;)  I think we should get a license or something. ;)
-C

I don't know about audiophile...but I definitely believe I qualify as an 'audio-phool  :lol: !
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 08:31:39 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
-C
You need one of these......and you get to fill in the blanks....."Certified Audiophile".... :lol:

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
Re: Do Higher MP3 Bit Rates Pay Off?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 08:35:06 PM »
I came across this in my travels.....

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/do_higher_mp3_bit_rates_pay_off

I personally do everything at 320kbs but I do agree that VBR done right is very good also.

Hey, a topic I can relate to. :D  I have a hard drive library, say +2700 albums strong and I've done all my downloads in WMA9 VBR Q90 which boots the bitrate to 320Kbps and more. It takes up around 1/3 more hard drive than CD(192Kbps) but almost doubles the bit rate at just a few cents over CD charges. The audio difference is immediately apparent in the clearer treble and bass. I have a good HTPC with a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard that does variable bit rate downloads justice and allowed me to toss my CDP. For me and my system, I can't recommend VBR enough.  8)

Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Dougie085

Re: Do Higher MP3 Bit Rates Pay Off?
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »
Any MP3 stuff that I rip is in a format called V0 and its a VBR high quality rip and very good for most non critical stuff. Majority of my collection is in FLAC though.