Author Topic: Do we have any speaker builders here?  (Read 47766 times)

WEEZ

Do we have any speaker builders here?
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
Either commercial or otherwise?

A couple of posts seemed to hint that that may be the case....

WEEZ

shep

I'm not one but
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 05:48:52 AM »
I have these nifty, sweet sounding TL's from Holland. Should I invite the builder, a really nice young guy who's English is excellent, to join? Your call.

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:01:31 AM »
I think the spirit is "come one, come all", as long as you're not a jackass.  :D

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:49:46 AM »
Hi shep,

That would be Carl's decision...I only posted this 'cause in the Speaker review section, one of the posters seemed to be a builder of speakers, and i was curious...

WEEZ

canyoneagle

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »
I haven't built any myself, but am very interested in a thread on the topic.  I'd like to start playing with Open Baffles, and possibly some horns.

Let's go find 'em!

-M

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:58:35 AM »
I built the TNT Big Fun Box with the Fostex 206E 8" whizzered, paper driver.  It was my main speaker for a few months but more importantly it proved a seminal shift in my thought processes and quest for my own perfect sound.

For me, the wideband, efficient, mostly XOverless sound proved a revelation and one I'm not likely to recant.

opnly bafld

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
I think the spirit is "come one, come all", as long as you're not a jackass.  :D

That already leaves some of us out. :lol:

Lin

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 09:23:47 AM »

I'm cool... I think the above should be our motto.... I'm not picky, though... so at least people who KNOW they're a-holes are welcome also ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

opnly bafld

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:25:50 AM »
For me, the wideband, efficient, mostly XOverless sound proved a revelation and one I'm not likely to recant.

I have had VMPS RM40s for about 2 1/2 years and last spring bought a $2k pair of hybrid mono blocks to go with them (quite well I might add), only to discover, within weeks of getting the new amps, single drivers and OB.  ](*,)
My large speakers and nice amps are now mostly collecting dust.
I do have 2 listening rooms, so I plan on separating the two, but I have a pretty good idea which ones I will listen to most.

Lin :D / :(

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »
Hi Guys,

I built a Zalytron speaker kit last year called the 'Phenomenals'.  I put them together but had the cabinet and xovers built professionally.  I probably wouldn't recommend the zalytron kits as i had lots of problems with the xover.

Apparently their was a mistake with a resistor value in the tweeter section of the xover and once it was corrected it did sound quite good imo.  It uses a Raven 2 ribbon tweeter and 2 x 6.5 inch phl mid/bass drivers in a tmm floorstander configuration.

In total the speakers cost me about $2000us which i think is reasonable considering the sound quality i'm obtaining from my system.

Regards

Rod

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »
i built a pair of rick craig standmounts and a standup corner cabinet for my vmps large sub

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 07:37:35 PM »
Hi Rosconey,

I just read your other thread regarding your rick craig designed speakers.  If they rise to the occasion everytime you do an upgrade then they are excellent speakers.

I sold my war audio speakers (raven 1 tweeter and 2 x 7 inch kevlar mid/bass drivers in largish stand mounted cabinet) as i had them for 7 years and i was a little bored with them.  They sounded great.

The new speakers are more transparent but they lack a little in the bass compared to my previous speakers.  I'm thinking of adding a subwoofer.

Regards

Rod

Ryno

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
-Peerless MTM with a madisound leap xover ~ 13 years ago
-Too many car subs to remember
-Dayton MT a couple months ago for the woodshop, not bad for little money, the dayton mid had great bass, perfect for the shop
-Insignia drivers with dennis murphy xover with dayton 8" powered subs in towers for movie/TV system
-Main system is magnepans, but I would love to build a set of cone dipoles, hopefully next winter. I should start a thread for opinions.
Ryan

WEEZ

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:06:33 AM »
I'd like to try something that would be a real 'sleeper'. Maximum bass in a small cabinet. Kinda like the Exodus Kit 61....

There are some designs @ www.rjbaudio.com

Interesting website. (click on projects)  :)

WEEZ

Ryno

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 05:33:33 PM »
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=12992

I'm looking for the same thing Weez. For my second system I need a two way sealed with a F3 ~ 60-63 Hz. In my small room with speaks very close to the front wall and my head very close to the rear wall, every ported speaker I've tried is boomy.  The link above is for an extremis, probably more expensive than the kit 61, higher xover part count. The Selah SSR would be the bomb, but I can't swing the price right now. GR's new M-165x driver looks really nice too, RAW is supposed to have a kit with this soon.
Any others?
Ryan