Author Topic: My speakers are shouting at me  (Read 21254 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
My speakers are shouting at me
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 01:48:16 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I think the power  is coming from trying to play into the very low impedence. It dips below 2 ohms  in a couple places down low. Yup, I play it loud, cause I have a huge room and I like bass - who doesn't? Maybe it was that Madonna CD I got for Christmas. I did play that kinda loud, actually. :oops:  In anycase the low notes at low impedence caused the distortion. The new amps are effortless playing the low stuff, so I would hope it would not recur. Rocket, good to know blowing tweeters isn't such a big deal.  :twisted:  I just hope they don't run out while I still have these speakers. haha

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 04:21:37 AM »
Oh yeah - a low impedance at low frequencies coupled with a tube amp is a recipe for pretty hard clipping.  

Good luck with the new setup.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »
Parts are back from Legacy. Haven't tried to play it yet. Judging from pic of the old ribbon the new one will make a big difference. It feels good to have them back together.

Not thrilled with the turnaround time, packing job or tweeter driver/bezel assembly. Price was reasonable for what he did, and Bill answered my questions and anxiety like a pro.
Rich