Author Topic: Just what comprises and who is an "Expert?"  (Read 12231 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Just what comprises and who is an "Expert?"
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 09:55:08 AM »
The subconscious mind is the keeper of skills. Learning a skill is simply programming it into the subconscious mind where the skill can be executed perfectly every time. We delude ourselves into thinking we run the ship, but 95% of our thoughts and actions are habits (programs) running from the subconscious. We, as the conscious mind, simply press the button to execute each program. Walking, talking, driving, all bodily functions, even most thoughts are habitual.

Consciously programming the subconscious mind is the most important skill you can learn.

Interestingly, studies done by Russian athletic programs showed that imagining performing a skill well was actually more effective than practicing the skill physically. Because you don't imagine the mistakes, so you don't reinforce them. A combination of 75% imagination and 25% physical practice yielded the best results.

The subconscious mind is more than a big factory robot to perform complex skills. It also has access to all the knowledge we have ever seen and it also can access the superconscious mind for information we have not seen. Unfortunately we can't discuss superconscious mind because it violates the forum rules, no religion. Ironically, the superconscious mind is where new music comes from, but dogma always swamps any religious discussion so it's still wise precaution. Too bad we can't talk about it. Musicians program their subconscious mind with skills to control their instruments, then while playing they lower their brainwave freq into theta waves to actively connect to subconscious to channel in the inspired thoughts of music improvisation or composition from superconscious, through the subconscious into the conscious mind, which presses the preprogrammed buttons for playing the instrument to convert the spiritual inspiration into sound for others to hear and be inspired that they are touching the source.

My trumpet teacher taught me to keep practicing until I could play it 10x without any mistake. That points the mind in the correct direction of avoiding mistakes rather than playing the mistakes lazily over and over to make them bad habits. It works well, because the frustration of making mistake on the 9th try is exasperating. You gotta start again. Now you are REALLY motivated to play perfectly, and this positive mental energy and focused thought programms the subconscious very quickly and effectively. The sleep (or crawling) locks it into permanent memory and installs a button on the conscious mind's control panel for future use.

When I played improvised solos I would go into theta brainwave pattern and see colors and shapes, which I could convert to button pushes which made the horn do it's thing. I'd come out of the trance with people clapping. I didn't really remember what I played. Often when recording we would just fuck around on the first take to get warmed up. I always recorded it because people were relaxed and not caring about how it comes out. Caring intereferes with the programmed work of the subconscious. Thinking about it fucks it up. On performance day it's too late to think about it, practice time is over. Worrying, doubting, thinking, these will only interfere with the subconsciouses proficiency. On performance day you just relax and have fun. Listen to the piano roll do the magic.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is just let it happen. With archery I frequently didn't remember making the shot that hit the bullseye or split the arrow. That shot's been made and you are on autopilot making the next one.
 Definitely a zen kind of thing.
Scotty

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is just let it happen. With archery I frequently didn't remember making the shot that hit the bullseye or split the arrow. That shot's been made and you are on autopilot making the next one.
 Definitely a zen kind of thing.
Scotty
Kyudo -"Zen in the Art of Archery" - Herrigel.  Very interesting read.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »
Thinking about it fucks it up. On performance day it's too late to think about it, practice time is over. Worrying, doubting, thinking, these will only interfere with the subconsciouses proficiency. On performance day you just relax and have fun.

We teach a similar idea to our students in the First Tee program. It is the concept of the think box and the play box. How often tdo you see a PGA tour play take practice swings when they are standing next to the ball? this is because they usually take their practice swings away from the ball, often facing perpendicular to the direction of the hole.  The will take practice swings and when the swing matches the mental image of what they want to happen they just step up to the ball and let it rip. We tell the kids to do the same thing. Commit in your mind to a course of action and then just step up to the ball and do it. If you are standing over the ball (in the play box) and start to think about it, step away and physically go back into your play box and commit to another or the same course of action before you step back into the play box. If you start thinking over the ball 9 out of 10 times you will hesitate somewhere in your execution  and misshit the ball.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
Thinking about it fucks it up. On performance day it's too late to think about it, practice time is over. Worrying, doubting, thinking, these will only interfere with the subconsciouses proficiency. On performance day you just relax and have fun.

We teach a similar idea to our students in the First Tee program. It is the concept of the think box and the play box. How often tdo you see a PGA tour play take practice swings when they are standing next to the ball? this is because they usually take their practice swings away from the ball, often facing perpendicular to the direction of the hole.  The will take practice swings and when the swing matches the mental image of what they want to happen they just step up to the ball and let it rip. We tell the kids to do the same thing. Commit in your mind to a course of action and then just step up to the ball and do it. If you are standing over the ball (in the play box) and start to think about it, step away and physically go back into your play box and commit to another or the same course of action before you step back into the play box. If you start thinking over the ball 9 out of 10 times you will hesitate somewhere in your execution  and misshit the ball.

Could not agree more. When I played professional Paddle ball and Softball I never thought about how just did it naturally. Over analysis causes paralysis. Nervosa comes in many forms even for our audio.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »

Could not agree more. When I played professional Paddle ball and Softball I never thought about how just did it naturally. Over analysis causes paralysis. Nervosa comes in many forms even for our audio.

charles

Over analysis causes paralysis. I'm guilty of that one...  :roll:
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 06:33:29 PM »
I find that drinking helped my bowling tremendously.
I would consistently bowl 180 -190, but with booze(vodka works best) 240 and 250 was sort of expected, I bowled my best game 289 hammered on vodka and seltzer with an orange twist.
The booze just let me relax and throw. I know where to throw the ball, but throwing it the same every time is very very hard. Some of the more advanced players wanted me to be on their team, but I told them I basically suck, but get better with booze. I would call the bar the "pro shop", go off saying I have to get an adjustment at the pro shop, come back and start throwing strike after strike after strike, people thought I was good!!

I remember one game, a new team was watching us warm up, I just walked in started throwing fresh(sober) hit the 7 pin or 10 pin, get a few gutters as I tried to read the oil, I noticed them laughing at my gutter balls, Later that night we crushed them, 7 points, after a visit to the "pro shop"! Never fails

My system sounded better with a few drinks too, come to think of it :beer:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Nick B

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 08:03:56 PM »
I find that drinking helped my bowling tremendously.
I would consistently bowl 180 -190, but with booze(vodka works best) 240 and 250 was sort of expected, I bowled my best game 289 hammered on vodka and seltzer with an orange twist.
The booze just let me relax and throw. I know where to throw the ball, but throwing it the same every time is very very hard. Some of the more advanced players wanted me to be on their team, but I told them I basically suck, but get better with booze. I would call the bar the "pro shop", go off saying I have to get an adjustment at the pro shop, come back and start throwing strike after strike after strike, people thought I was good!!

I remember one game, a new team was watching us warm up, I just walked in started throwing fresh(sober) hit the 7 pin or 10 pin, get a few gutters as I tried to read the oil, I noticed them laughing at my gutter balls, Later that night we crushed them, 7 points, after a visit to the "pro shop"! Never fails

My system sounded better with a few drinks too, come to think of it :beer:

Interesting you should mention alcohol and performance. I was in college and had a big exam the next day. I hadnt kept up with the homework and was "in a heap of trouble". So I went to my favorite local diner and got a table in the corner. I still had trouble with the material and then ordered a carafe of sangria. At the end of the carafe, I was feeling pretty good and was comfortable with the upcoming test. I did ace it and I have the sangria and a relaxed attitude to thank.  🍷🍷🍷
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 09:38:06 PM »
Hey, what did Arlo Guthrie say about the day of his visit to the draft board...."I got good and drunk the night before so I looked and felt my best in the morning"   :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
In college I wrote a paper on Immanuel Kant, drunk on Mt. Gay rum.. I got an A on that paper.
The rum was the catalyst that started the creative juices flowing, how logic tagged along is a complete mystery!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
I bowled my best game 289 hammered on vodka and seltzer with an orange twist.

:thumb:  That's awesome! Congrats man!!! What happened the next time when you tried to hit 300 on that brew?   :rofl:

Many musicians play stoned, always have. I guess they do it to numb the anxiety, stagefright, insecurities, etc. Liquid courage, right? Get the conscious mind out of the way. Some can handle it for a while, but eventually, inevitably they go too deep.

My father was just being nice to bring beer to my first recording session for the band. Oops! 2 of them started drinking the beer at the break, another seeing that beer was OK pulled out his flask of Remy and the session went downhill fast. Luckily we already had most of the takes.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
I bowled my best game 289 hammered on vodka and seltzer with an orange twist.

:thumb:  That's awesome! Congrats man!!! What happened the next time when you tried to hit 300 on that brew?   :rofl:

Many musicians play stoned, always have. I guess they do it to numb the anxiety, stagefright, insecurities, etc. Liquid courage, right? Get the conscious mind out of the way. Some can handle it for a while, but eventually, inevitably they go too deep.

My father was just being nice to bring beer to my first recording session for the band. Oops! 2 of them started drinking the beer at the break, another seeing that beer was OK pulled out his flask of Remy and the session went downhill fast. Luckily we already had most of the takes.
I quit engineering punk bands a long time ago when the lead singer puked into an AKG 414.  stomach acid an whatever he was drining ruined the capsule.  Eewwwwwww...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »
I guess my time is done here, the thought police keep censoring what I write

just ban me

Offline Nick B

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »
I guess my time is done here, the thought police keep censoring what I write

just ban me

??? PM sent
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax