Author Topic: Turntable Wall Mount  (Read 37532 times)

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Re: Turntable Wall Mount
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »
SN,

My wife just asked me 'What are you laughing about all by yourself in there" :rofl:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »
... Other than that the response would be "You want to put those things where?"  :rofl:

Gee, Tom!  My wife usually asks me that question in the singular form, rather than plural!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TMI  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »
SN,

My wife just asked me 'What are you laughing about all by yourself in there" :rofl:

I'm always happy to provide a bit of levity here, every once in a while!  :)
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

jianghai

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »
Cheap construction, not 16" on center means your house was probably manufactured in China. Look at your foundation and see if you can identify something that looks like this. Maybe you can get some of your money back. :-k

LOL can anyone here actually even read that  :rofl:

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 12:44:32 AM »
OK, now the OP is not nearly as much fun as the replies, and you've probably already done something with this, but just in case ...

Either you are overthinking it, or I am underthinking it.  I know where the smart money is ...  nonetheless ... pressing on ... If the studs are 18"oc, then the inside edges of each are 16-1/2" apart - which should be just 1/4" outside the mounting holes.  Just drive longer lags screws in at a fairly steep angle. Slight chance you have to take a drill and widen out the holes a bit to accept a large ish diameter lag at an angle. Unless you are mounting a VERY high mass table (in which case this shelf is too lightweight anyway) you should be fine.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
OK... I've finally re-painted the wall mount, completely disassembled my system and have access to the wall without anything in front of it.  I have to go buy lag bolts (I was in Lowes yesterday for other things and forgot the damned bolts!) so I can get started today. 

My question du jour is whether I put any kind of felt or rubberized backing on the part of the bracket that goes up against the wall or just flush it up to the wall "as is"?

Suggestions???

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »
  Couldn't hurt using a dampening. Hockey pucks at $1 a piece. Drill a hole through them and install with lag bolt through them to stud.  mount. Or a piece of wood. [ Maple, Spruce].

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 10:08:03 AM »
You could a washer or two for a spacer if you need it, but I don't see why you'd need a spacer.

How did you decide to make up for the width difference?

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
Oh boy, the plot thickens!!!

I went to Lowes, picked up the longest (3") screws that would fit though the mounting holes in the wall bracket and started to re-check position before drilling.

Well, the stud finder confirmed the markings on the wall and I decided to drill a small pilot hole to start.  Starting where the top left mountng screw would go, I drilled into the sheet rock, but felt no stud behind it!?!  :roll:

I took a finishing nail that was longer than the drill bit and slipped that into the pilot hole and still no stud!?! :?

I then took a 10" length of straight wire coat hanger and fed that though the hole. Finally, I hit the stud.  When I measured the depth of it, it was 4 1/4" deep! :shock:

I'm guessing that since this front wall of my room used to be the rear outside wall of my house (before we built the extension) the stud finder was actually reading the old (original) stud, not the outermost studs that framed the room when it was built!!!  :duh  At this point, I tried the good old fashioned stud finder method and rapped my knuckle across the wall and listened.  It confirmed what I already knew with my pilot hole - no stud in that spot!

From what I can tell now, the outer new room build studs that actually back themselves up to the sheetrock in that vicinity of the room are 24" apart.

So I am at a standstill right now.  :(

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

eleazar

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
That sucks I live in an older home so I know where you're coming from. My 2nd floor all studs were 2' on center give or take an inch or 3. LOL

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 02:51:48 AM »
  ](*,)
It must be that you've moved it from its current location as pictured in one of your earleir posts? That area just looks like a normal interior framed wall.  It seems that now you either need a much larger plate or bracket or intermediate mounting boards to span the 24" ... or you need to cut out the drywall and frame in a box with a 16" span between studs, then patch the drywall back in. Is this new area also with the paint finish that would be hard to match/blend in?  Painting the whole wall out of the question?

When you have figured out the words to choose that brings the wife to acceptance
[-(
So now the question is whether "diamonds" or "Arcici suspension rack" sounds cheaper

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 05:57:40 AM »
  ](*,)
It must be that you've moved it from its current location as pictured in one of your earleir posts? That area just looks like a normal interior framed wall.  It seems that now you either need a much larger plate or bracket or intermediate mounting boards to span the 24" ... or you need to cut out the drywall and frame in a box with a 16" span between studs, then patch the drywall back in. Is this new area also with the paint finish that would be hard to match/blend in?  Painting the whole wall out of the question?

I'm still talking about the same spot.  It's an interior framed wall that was studded out from what once used to be the exterior back wall of my house, with one BIG exception... it's not normal!!!  My contractor must have figured two things: how can I save some $$$ (use less lumber!) and once it's sheet rocked over, who the hell will know the difference!  :duh

Cutting out the drywall is out, because it still is the room with the faux marbled paint finish.  Besides, my wife would totally flip out if I started making holes like that.  :roll:   I can hear her now - "sure, I can't get you to put up a new curtain rod for me, but you have time to rip apart the family room wall and rebuild it just for your #@!$%^ turntable!"  :shock:

I'm thinking a mounting board that spans across the 24" (stud to stud) is going to be the only reasonable way around this, but there are aesthetic issues to still be overcome!  So it's back to the drawing board for now! :(

Keep those "cards and letters" rollin' in!

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:25 AM »
24" OC is common for internal non load bearing walls. I have some in my 7yo house.

Tim's got the right idea. Just get a 4 foot piece of steel or aluminum square tubing from home depot. Make two cross beams with holes for the lag bolts and holes for the TT rack. Use round head bolts and washers with the screw head towards the wall to connect the TT rack to the cross braces. Use lag bolts with washers under the heads screwed straight 90degrees into the studs. Wood cross beams would work too, but they will be wider and more visible.

Rectangular Steel tube:
http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-4690-202-1-12-x-34-x-41664-wall-rectangular-steel-tubing.aspx

They will cut custom lengths, I suggest you cut them to 26-27"

If you are really handy (or have ET fingers) you can figure a way to attach the nut for the TT rack bolts inside the tubing so the tube can mount flush to the wall. If not, use a spacer (like a nut) on the lag bolts to make room for rack attachment bolts or nuts.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 07:31:23 AM »
I can hear her now - "sure, I can't get you to put up a new curtain rod for me, but you have time to rip apart the family room wall and rebuild it just for your #@!$%^ turntable!"  :shock:

Do you really think she would be that calm?    
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »
 Richadoo is spot on with stud spacing. The solution suggested should work fine. BTW Jay  L. is very handy at these things give him a call. Call Mel as well how swell.   

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.