Author Topic: Raspberry Pi as Logitech Touch Replacement  (Read 6360 times)

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Raspberry Pi as Logitech Touch Replacement
« on: June 07, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »
As I am prepping for using Deezer for HiFi streaming, I decided to see how easy / difficult it would be to setup a Pi as Logitech Touch replacement.  Putting the complete system together took me about an hr, with the biggest hurdle being how to integrate the Allo Kali Reclocker in the mix.  All the documentation and videos on how to connect various power only mentioned how to hook up the screen to provide power to the Pi.  I had to reach out to Allo on Computeraudiophile website and they responded back over night on how to hook it up.

The total cost for the setup is $255

Setup: 7" official Pi Touch Screen - $72
Eleduino 7" Bamboo Case - $16
Pi3 - $36
Allo Kali + Piano DAC + 5V power supply - $121 (includes $24 in shipping from India)
SD Card - $10
piCorePlayer is used as software and Airplay end point - $0 (Need to send in some money so development can continue)

This is the same setup minus the screen and piCore software that Nick played around with it.

Offline shadowlight

Re: Raspberry Pi as Logitech Touch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
The previous playback was using the default Deezer plugin for LMS which only supports MP3 playback (2nd attachment).  Configured Ickstream plugin with the new HiFi Deezer account and here is what I see when looking at the stream information.

I think I started the thread in the wrong sub forum.  Can someone with moderation privilege move it to the Streaming subforum.

TIA
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:20:02 PM by shadowlight »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:36:40 PM »
That's very cool!  :thumb:

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:28:43 AM »
That's very cool!  :thumb:

Thanks for moving the thread to the right location.

I am going to take the setup for an extended spin tonight with a new amp  :thumb:

If folks are interested in ready made setup similar to what I did with a better DAC based on ESS 9038, Audiophonics in France have couple of options.  I think the cost is bit high and in the long run Bluesound node might be cheaper.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:33:53 AM by shadowlight »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
If you can live without the display and have a favorite USB DAC, the Allo USBridge makes a great endpoint and can run Squeezelite or RoonBridge.   I'm using it now with Roon and switch to using Squeezelite when I want to sync it with output from my SB Touch also using Roon.   The Allo USBridge is an excellent and inexpensive endpoint for a USB DAC.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »
If you can live without the display and have a favorite USB DAC, the Allo USBridge makes a great endpoint and can run Squeezelite or RoonBridge.   I'm using it now with Roon and switch to using Squeezelite when I want to sync it with output from my SB Touch also using Roon.   The Allo USBridge is an excellent and inexpensive endpoint for a USB DAC.

My primary system is a Lampizator Dac fed by HQPlayer.  The touch replacement project was to see how hard/easy it was to setup a PI as replacement for existing SB Classic that resides in our family room.  I already had all the parts minus the screen and screen stand so for me it was a no brainier to move forward with it.  There are couple of other Audio OS (Volumio, Moode, Rune, ArchLinux) for Pi that can be leverage with screen if I want to add additional functionality outside of LMS and Airplay setup.  I believe DietPi also has support for the screen and I need to figure out how to setup it up.

As for the USBridge solution I have looked into it but the native support of DSD under Amanero firmware, plus Allo saying that DSD 512 is not guaranteed to work has held me back.  Once those issues are resolved I will explore it a bit further.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 06:55:09 PM »
I am currently using 2 Pis as Squeezebox replacements. I have a third waiting for me to wire the ethernet to the bedroom...

Main system uses an Allo Digione. I get very good spdif out from this guy. No matter what I can't get USB to sound as good although I have not tried the better x-rendus.

They just replaced the board no questions asked due to intermittent static issues which led to redesign. Very good on them.

The home theater system gets a HiFiBerry DiGi+. Also very good spdif but quite like the Allo.

Unlike Shadowlight I am not a pro computer whiz kid but I was able to get these three little guys up and running pretty easily - with no linux programming whatsoever. Fun fun fun.

I'm starting to collect squeezeboxes now - I just gave one to Tommy...

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
Mike, I am using wireless on the Touch replacement and it is very stable but have not compared LAN v/s wireless  though.

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 03:25:21 AM »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 06:40:09 AM »
Wow, kinda forgot about this thread.   Leo's video of putting the PecanPi Streamer together is exactly what I did to replace two Squeezebox Touches and I've been extremely pleased with them.   Exceptional sound!    I use them as Roon endpoints running Ropieee on the PecanPi Streamer.