Author Topic: Usher Dancer Mini 2  (Read 24444 times)

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: Usher Dancer Mini 2
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
Methinks the hook is just about set...  Have fun with them!
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Bigfish8

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 04:34:56 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
Very pretty!

Mike L

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
Something I always wondered because of the port is it a transmission line?

How do these compare to the be718's?  When I was buying speakers I a,b,c,ed the be718's, cp6381's, and 6311's and oddly, liked the 6311's the best. 

I found the be718's bass to be a little muddy..made them very forgiving of recordings...however not the sound that I like.  Having said that they may not have been broken in yet. 

I also preferred the coherence of the 6311's over the 81's.

Thanks,
Mike

Bigfish8

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
How do these compare to the be718's?

Maybe I am one of the few but I honestly did not like the BE 718's.  They have a nice midrange and the same tweeter as in the BE 10, BE 20 and in these Dancer Mini 2's but they are not a full range speaker.  At least I did not find them satisfying as I am used to a speaker that goes down below 30 Hz.  Captain Humble owns a pair of Usher 6391's and told me today he prefers the Dancer Mini 2 and has ordered a pair.  The Dancer Mini 2 is full range, has a great midrange and the same upper end you like in the BE 718.  You should make plans to audition a pair.

Ken

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »
I'm glad you are enjoying them Ken... Keep them for a few weeks by all means.  You're the one doing me the favor by breaking them in.  I HATE having to break in speakers.  Besides, it's not like I don't have another pair of speakers to listen to here :)  Of course I don't have my favorite DAC or amps anymore..........

I was impressed with the Mini 2's right out of the box.  In the hour or so we listened before I had to take off, they were already starting to open up.  The things I love about the Usher sound and specifically the alloy tweeter (I never thought the day would come that I like a mostly titanium tweeter... but that thing just flat out sings) are maintained in this speaker.  Good balance to the sound.  Detail and resolution is all there, just not cringe worthy like on some other designs.  We were listening right around 89-90 decibels at the listening position.  While loud, it wasn't blow you over.  That's about as loud as I ever want to listen in any of my systems.  At that volume level, the speaker was extremely controlled and clean.  No compression whatsoever.  While they don't have the same scale of presentation capabilities of a Be-20, they are pretty darn great for a normal sized room.  Bass was surprisingly fleshed out for stiff woofer suspensions.  That will get better after some play time.  I think I'm going to like these in my room.  I'm excited to find something that will fit my listening room space and sound like these do.  While not the Be-20s, I get to enjoy some of their qualities in a much more better half approved package.... even though she hasn't technically seen them yet.... I'm working up to that :)  Yeah, even the dealer now has significant other approval factors to consider... first time in my life and I'm honestly not really happy about it... but I'm not without some capabilities to compromise I suppose...

Enjoy them Ken.  I'm glad you're getting the chance to hear something else in your room to learn a bit more about what it's doing now that the panels are up and also to be able to compare and contrast the equipment itself...  I'll bring the Belles stuff over once it gets some time on it and we can really have some fun swapping.... so when are you hosting the next get together? :) hehehe 

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Bigfish8

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 12:24:40 PM »
Guys:

This pair of Dancer Mini 2's now have approximately 26 to 28 hours of playing time on them.  The sound stage is noticeably larger and further behind the speakers than right out of the box when Shane was here.  I have heard the pair of BE-20's that Rich owns several times and I always loved their clean, clear, full-range of sound.  These Dancer Mini 2's have the detailed mids and upper-end I recall from the BE-20's.  They of course do not have the room shaking bass of the BE-20's but they produce a full range of sound that is about prefect for my room (26' X 14' X 8').  I am not experiencing the bass node problems with these speakers that I have been fighting with the Timepieces.  The more time I spend with them the more difficult it is going to be to part with them.  Melissa is going to love the appearance of these in the main room!

Ken

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »
Ken's quote "The more time I spend with them the more difficult it is going to be to part with them.  Melissa is going to love the appearance of these in the main room!"

Ken, sounds like they are going to be too tough to give up, especially after they break-in a little more. Might as well plan your rehab strategy or just give in, avoid the agony and pain and strike a deal. Besides, I understand these Ushers comes with drool cloths for those who give them up. ( just kidding, I think)

Henry

"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Great speakers, can't wait to hear what you think of them after they have about 150 hours or so on them. I have a set of the Be-20's with just a hair over 100 hours and they just keep improving! Keep us posted!

John

Bigfish8

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 04:41:05 AM »
Guys:

I had not heard these speakers since Monday due to my travel schedule.  (I think the dogs enjoyed listening to the CMT channel everyday)!  Even though one of my smoke glass Sylvania VT-231's is microphopic it is the best pair of 6SN7's I have for the Preamp and I put it back in this morning.  When I turned-on the system I was just amazed at the way these speakers image and the sound stage is a good 3 to 5 feet behind the speakers.  For you audiophiles looking for a very good speaker that does not break the bank should audition a pair of these.

Ken

Bigfish8

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 05:40:22 PM »
Yes, many of you predicted it as I was unable to part with these speakers.  The Timepieces sold within an hour of listing on Audiogon and they are now on their way to the new owner.  I think I fell in love with the clear detail of the Usher's soon after hearing them in my room.  However, it was the relaxed presentaiton and soundstage that sealed the deal.  I found the Timepieces would give a nice Soundstage but had to be in a near field listening position in my room -- very poor WAF!  I am afraid to move the Ushers into a near field position as I might love them even more and Miss Vera will have none of it!

Ken
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:51:22 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »
Yes, many of you predicted it as I was unable to part with these speakers.  The Timepieces sold within an hour of listing on Audiogon and they are now on their way to the new owner.  I think I fell in love with the clear detail of the Usher's soon after hearing them in my room.  However, it was the relaxed presentaiton and soundstage that sealed the deal. 

Ken

Congratulation Ken!! You can now relax and enjoy your new speakers, forgoing the agony of regret, emotional rehab and the constant mental anguish of what might have been. 

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
That is awesome, Ken.  Hope to hear them sometime! :)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »
Guys:

I just received the ultimate compliment about my system.  Vera told me "that is what music is suppose to sound like."  Damn, I am a happy camper! :thumb:

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
Glad you're still ridin' high, Ken.  And that IS a nice compliment.  I can't wait to hear them.  Until then, have a great Christmas and New Year.
-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.