Author Topic: HT Projector Suggestions needed  (Read 15616 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: HT Projector Suggestions needed
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »
Isn't that one LCD like the AE 3000?  It also appears to only have 1 HDMI input.  I have a can of air. ;)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 08:52:15 PM »
I have a can of air. ;)
-C

Air wont work. From what I have read most of the projector needs to be taken apart when this happens and some folks have gone as far as to return them to Panasonic for repair and in some cases, a refund.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »
It also appears to only have 1 HDMI input.
-C

My 720P has only one but given I run everything through my pre, I only need one so it works fine for me.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
call me tonight and let's talk...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

zybar

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 06:31:14 PM »
OK, it's been called to my attention that Panasonic has a dust bunny issue.. So, I'm entertaining other ideas.. Also, from what I've seen, I really prefer the look of DLP and LCOS technology over LCD.

I found a Sony HW10 to look nice.. and somewhat tips the budget of 3,k. 

This pj will be used for movies mainly, from a Bluray player.. and some high-speed gaming on occasion... and maybe TV, but that's a distant 3rd.  Being quiet is important.  Being sharp, and color correct is important.. .and a nice smooth picture but that isn't 'soft'.

It's still getting ceiling-mount.  If I could afford it, I'd get the JVC DS10 but that's just too much and it is only 'average' in audible noise.

Any suggestions?

-C

Epson 6500UB

http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/Projector_Best_In_Class_Awards.php

George

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 01:12:06 PM »
Just a quick update, I ended up with the JVC DS10 and couldn't be happier with the picture quality.  If it's on the DVD, it's on the screen, it's that simple.  I watched Spiderman 3 the other day and the graphics were just fantastic in every way.  The movie sucked but I enjoyed the eye candy nonetheless.  I think that movie may have been made to sell TV's... I don't know... but it would work. ;)

I've watched several types of movies and regardless of the quality, it still looks good... I was worried since it was so big it'd enlarge the problems of the original... but everything just looks good.. or as good as it can.  I've hooked up cheap camcorders w/ RCA cables, watched old movies, etc... I'm never dissapointed.  I watch a good bit of regular DVD's and Blu-ray's.  I have seen some 'banding' I think it's called.. but not much... and I think it might be the DVD and not the PJ because on some movies with lots of gradation, it looks smooth and perfect.  Video is a weird mess of non-standard practices... hence, why I wasn't really interested in investing a ton into it. 

BTW... A Sony Playstation 3 doesn't do 7.1 through toslink.  It just won't.  It'll do it through HDMI only.  So, if I can either degrade the picture quality and run through my receiver.. but get 7.1.. or run 5.1 and run direct to the PJ... So, now I've got an extra pair of speakers.  :duh  Gee thanks, Sony.

-C

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of projectors Carl.  8)
It's a beautiful thing.

I never tried to run 7.1 through my PS3 (as I don't have a room large enough to support that many speakers), but I didn't know the optical was limited to 5.1 either. Hmm...
Have you tried to run HDMI to the receiver? It "shouldn't" have that big of an effect.

Bob

p.s. Off topic Carl; What are playing on PS3?
COD4 by chance?  :twisted:

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »

p.s. Off topic Carl; What are playing on PS3?
COD4 by chance?  :twisted:

I'm hooked on that dam game but.....on XBox 360.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
Ahh.... :(  That's a shame. I'd love to play against "the audio dudes".

Bob

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »
I'm not much of a gamer but I've learned how to play 'Tekken' fairly well thanks to a friend.  I have another friend that came over and put a bunch of demos on it but I can't get into them.  They're just too complicated.. and too much like work for me to enjoy.  With Tekken I just memorize a few combinations and react to the opponent... kind of like speed-chess.
The online component isn't activated on my system.. yet... maybe this Fall.. we'll see.  One thing at a time! ;)

BTW, I don't think the optical is limited to 5.1 (I could be wrong), I think Sony chose to limit it for some reason which annoys me.  There is no coax out either.. but I half expected that.  HDMI through the receiver degrades the video enough for me to notice.. it's an overall 'dulling' to the image quality.  I've tried all the settings and it doesn't matter... just sucks for video unfortunately.

-C

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about the HDMI/video issue. I can't think of any other solutions.....  :?
Regarding the PS3 being online, it's free and doesn't take long to set up. Lots of fun.

Bob